Lights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Lights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 08:39 pm:

I have a 1927 Tudor with the stock headlights and single ďstopĒ-style tail light. Iím running on a 6V system. I try not to drive at night because my car is black, itís dark out, and Iím not adequately eliminated to feel safe. Bit a couple times Iíve found myself on the road at night returning from somewhere. My headlights are reasonably bright but I am terrified about someone rear ending me. Aside from a 12V conversion or adding LEDs to my tail light, what ideas are available and successful to help make the car more visible at night? Any ideas or products youíd recommend? All advise welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Schultz_Sheboygan,WI on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

When I get caught out to late in the day and have to drive in the dark I have a magnetic red blinking LED light I put on the back of the car. Seems to work pretty good, but the speed everyone else is going gets a little scarier at night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

I used to cover my car in glowsticks for fun....
And they made me fit reflectors when i went to register it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 10:20 pm:

Eido

Look up magnetic rear light at home depot, or Fleet Farm or Farm and Fleet. About $20. Bright enough for any night time driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 10:26 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

A Slow moving reflective triangle like You see on the back of tractors is very visible at night. and that along with the magnetic flashing lights should be pretty effective. Tractor Supply has the slow moving signs and decals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By S. Goldberg - Saint Louis, MO on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 01:11 am:

Daveís suggestion is spot on! I have the same model and have been using a pair of them for over five years without any difficulty. Couldnít find them in a store but did order them on-line for about the same price. They are manual-on/off, magnetic, and battery-powered. The rib along the back of my enclosed car keeps them from sliding down; have never lost one. When not in use, they are neatly tucked away in my running board toolbox. When on the car, I do put a piece of wax paper underneath them to protect the carís finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 03:44 am:

One very minor thing that apparently helps is to paint the inside of the tail light housing white (assuming itís presently black). The idea is it reflects the light cast by the sides and back of the bulb and adds it to whatís already shining through the lense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 06:21 am:

I'll double down on Tim's suggestion. What I did on my 26/27 tail's (yes, I have two: right and left) is to take a piece of aluminum foil to improve reflectivity. I also installed the dual lead socket and run the double halogen bulbs sold by the vendors. They are bright and can be easily seen at night. The only caveat is that a standard generator will struggle to keep up with them. Mine are also 6V and the alternator has no trouble powering them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 07:44 am:

The use of slow moving vehicle triangles is for agricultural equipment only and is illegal to be used on an automobile in most states.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 08:35 am:

In 2000 we were touring in Big Bend National Park with 11 other T's. The maximum speed limit was 45 MPH in the park. On the road to Santa Elena Canyon, we were stopped by the head park ranger. We were last in line and she questioned my YOM license plates. This took about 30 minutes as she was having trouble with her mobile phone contacting the Texas DPS. My '27 has a stop/tail light combination but she next questioned the car in front of mine about his lack of a stop light. She continued to harass most of the other drivers about one thing or another. One of the T's had a slow moving triangle and she allowed us to continue provided that this car was to be last in line. Our tour leader was so upset by this that he had us turn around and head back to the combination motel/RV park where we were staying, just west of the park. This all happened in the middle of the day.
Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 09:33 am:

As always check with the constabulary about vehicles and lighting. The Credit Union where I do Business hires an "off duty" officer and they are usually very good at answering questions of this nature. They are not pressed for time and have nowhere to be so they usually go out of there way to get you the "CORRECT" answer. Just my .02 cents!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 09:48 am:

I replaced my tail light on my 26 with a pair of 28 tail lights (tail and stop lights with the addition of a brake light switch ) I haven't added turn signals yet but it is a good start. They look great and period correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 10:46 am:

Anyone have any experience adding a small light on their tireís valve stem cap? I see thatís a product thatís available too. The good ones will shit off when the car is not moving. Not exactly oem Ford, but it would get the attention on the road that leads to safety....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 10:53 am:

Shut....I meant shut.....autocorrect got me on that one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Chuplis on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 12:22 pm:

The Model A lights are tempting. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that improved T tail light parts can be purchased individually nor do the assemblies come with dual filament sockets.

However the inner fender support and a right hand bracket are available. By purchasing another assembly with support and right side bracket, replacing the single sockets with dual, one could have two very authentic looking tail lights with brake lights - without over taxing the generator - IF you can find an LED bulb that will fit in the housing. If not, a standard 1156 may work but I'm not certain how the generator will respond to an additional 42w draw every time the brakes are applied. Daytime use should be ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Chuplis on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

Correction, 1154 not 1156

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 01:54 pm:

I'm sure glad the cops where some of you live have nothing better to do than harass drivers of antique cars for having SMV triangles. I run one on my TT. Never got stopped for it. I'll continue to until I do get stopped for it. I might continue after that depending on the circumstances.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

Robert, your experience is one reason I used to carry a copy of the Missouri YOM law in the car when I went on tours in other states. I printed it from the official website where all the state statutes are shown. I haven't driven outside Missouri for six or seven years, so doubt I still have it now. I never had to use it, but that's the essence of being prepared, isn't it? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 02:19 pm:

Lights I added to the top tie down side posts on the 26 touring. Amber front lens, Red facing rear. mounted on side posts with on with one 1/4-20 THD bolt or Hex head. Resizing went crazy need to reduce size with "Cont - key" ect. may look ok on smart phones and others but if You reduce the image size it is viewable.

Removable add on signal lightsFront view rear light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 02:32 pm:

I kept my system 6 volts and added a second 26 style tail light and converted both to dual filament to have both tail, brake, and turn signals. The RH bracket is available from Lang's as well as tail lights. I use Model A dual filament short bulbs from Snyder's as that is what will fit in the small Model T light assembly. Also I've modified the sockets in the headlights by rotating them 90 degrees so that modern bulbs provide a high and low beam instead of a left and right beam.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration