Windshield Hinge Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Windshield Hinge Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 03:41 pm:

I have a '17 model year touring which was built in Sept. 1916. I believe the windshield hinge to be typical of the '16 model year, not '17 with the change to the offset hinge coming later.

My question is whether the hinge is correct and properly installed. When extended, the top glass is set behind the bottom, which would be perfect for creating a waterfall over your feet in the rain. I wonder if the hinges might be swapped left and right and upside down. Your comments are appreciated.hinges

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

Howdy Tim,
That hinge is correct for early ‘17. So is oval top sockets. The “legs” on that hinge are the same length but when fastened to the windshield frames should stack the upper windshield glass perfectly on top of the bottom windshield glass. Yours are offset. The circular portion of the hinge should be to the rear of the glass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 04:37 pm:

Not quite right. The upper glass on all the years (beginning in 1915 and ending with the slanted windshield of '23) should be forward of the lower glass.
The hinges you show look correct for 1915/'16 early '17. They do have a definite right and left side hinge. Your right is on the left, and left is on the right, resulting in the upper glass being behind the lower glass. The idea was that rain should drip down from the upper glass into in front of the lower glass.

I will try to get into some more details later. I need to go do some other things now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 04:45 pm:

Wayne,

I did some more research and found this graphic...it shows what you're talking about. I think I need to swap the hinges right to left.hinges2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitchell Helgeson, Il on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

How it was explained to me:

If the top glass is behind the lower. When running in the rain, it will hit the top glass and run down into the cab onto the electrical.
If the top glass is forward. The rain runs down the lower glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

There is also an inexpensive gasket that was original on at least 1915 cars. It fits between the windshield halves. Item 7840I at Langs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 06:17 pm:

I guess I was looking at my ‘14 runabout when I stated the upper w/s glass is right on top of the lower w/s glass. When cowls were introduced, they must’ve changed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

LOL If the upper is front of the bottom the rain will fly up into your face when you drive! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

Or...do like I do and just don't drive in the rain!! LOL...unless of course you get caught!! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration