Torque of the drive shaft pinion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Torque of the drive shaft pinion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 08:26 pm:

Does anyone know what to torque the pinion nut gear on the model t drive shaft?
Thanks
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 08:48 pm:

Chaffin's Ruckstell book says to 70 ft/lbs.

On mine I seat the gear on the drive shaft with a large socket and a mallet to be sure its on the taper right tight, prior to fastening up the nut, and be sure to cotter, and don't back off if the cotter pin won't align. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

Stop JUST before the threads let go !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 12:24 am:

I seem to recall once hearing 100 ft lbs. I usually use a 24 inch bar and pull it tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 12:45 am:

Tighten till failure then 1/4 turn. :-) Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 12:57 am:

Thanks
I just had a pinion failure on a new gear and wanted to make sure I did not over tighten, but a 24" wrench is what I used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 11:09 am:

Better to strip while tightening than while driving! Less replacements involved that way. 70 ft lbs is about right. If it strips, at 70 replace the shaft and/or nut. If it strips at 70 you needed to replace it anyway!
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration