OT - Looking to buy a High Wheeler

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Looking to buy a High Wheeler
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary kmiecik on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 10:11 am:

Looking to buy a High Wheeler , anyone have any leads. gkmiecik@new.rr.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 10:19 am:

On the recent AACA/HCCA Reliability Tour, we stopped to look at a very original Sears for sale. There's a picture of it in the write-up of the tour on the HCCA website, here:

https://hcca.org/BOARDS/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=3082&sid=620e7f75ac9c6569c1ff6d74de3 8aea0#p3082

I don't know whether it sold. I don't have the contact, but tour master Steve Heald will. I'll put you in touch with him if you're interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary kmiecik on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 10:29 am:

That would be great send to my e-mail, Thanks, Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 10:30 am:

Also known as the "Penny-Farthing". They look cool and are the epitomy of the Victorian age but they are very unbalanced and can be very dangerous. Stop short and it can be like being thrown over the head of a horse, which is what Chris Reeves was paralyzed from when, at a horse jumping competition, he landed on his head after being thrown by a horse who suddenly stopped in front of a jump. Be very careful. Jim Patrick www.hiwheel.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 10:31 am:

www.hiwheel.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 10:42 am:

I have a 1909 Norwalk Auto-Bug I will
Sell They are a hoot to drive. Serial #2, only one running of 3 known surviving examples. Tmorsher@iCloud.com for info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary kmiecik on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 12:55 pm:

Look for a high wheel auto not bike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 12:57 pm:

Oops!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 01:08 pm:

I was wondering about that. "High wheeler" is an ambiguous term in this case. My first thought was also bike, but Gilbert's response made me think of car. Now we know.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

There was a recent thread on someone's son at the OCF taking an interest in high wheel bicycles. Adding to the tendency to think "bicycle" by people following this forum. Both are wonderful parts of our history!

Don't know if I should mention, I should be looking for a new caretaker for a very unusual high wheel car. It would require a very special person to do a proper restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary kmiecik on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 05:50 pm:

Gilbert thanks for the lead on the Sears. I'm a day late or a dollar short he sold it for $10,000

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 05:56 pm:

That was a bloody steal for that car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Loftfield on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

Several high wheeler autos on Hemmings right now, mostly replica's but some real ones, some at auction, some for real pricing. One high-wheel bicycle on HCCA for those who may have an interest in non-automobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 12:41 am:

The high wheel buggy register website is down. Maybe they stopped maintaining it. I thought Brady Mann was running it. He has a really nice 1909 Economy. This is from the HCCA website.

High Wheel Motor Buggy Register Brady E. Mann
2235 County Hwy 5
Roanoke, IL 61561
309-744-5263
Send me email
www.hwmbr.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary kmiecik on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 03:11 pm:

Well thanks guys for all the info. I got one a 1910 sears can't wait to pick it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

Iím jealous,Please post some pictures when you get it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

One of my dream cars! I do hope to see pictures of it here.
Do you know specifically which model of Sears? "J"? "H"? Which variation of the motor?
The Sears website seems to be doing okay. The all inclusive High Wheel Motor Buggy Register never did seem to get a good foothold. I wish it could get going well. With the exception of the really early experimental cars, the whole bunch of high wheel cars are a special, and somewhat unique to America, part of automotive history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 04:46 pm:

They may be unique to America, but you almost never see one on a tour. The Australians, on the other hand, have a very active group of people who tour in American-made highwheelers. I've been trying to build interest in "Creepy-Crawly" tours in HCCA for the really primitive stuff, but so far I'm mostly a lonely voice howling in the wilderness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 07:02 pm:

The British, Australians, and some Europeans, are all much better than we in the USA at touring in the really early automobiles. If I were to have counted all the 1904 and earlier cars I have actually seen driven on tours in this country over the past fifty years? I doubt the count would exceed twenty cars. There may have been a dozen or so more I have seen running, and maybe driven fifty to a couple hundred feet at a show? But that is about it. I have seen dozens of videos of "Creepy Crawly" tours held in England and a few in Europe that had somewhere between a dozen to hundreds of automobiles all 1904 and earlier. A low turnout year for the London to Brighten Run would be one with less than 200 cars that vintage. Most of the recent twenty years, cars numbering more than four hundred has been the norm, with at least a few years with close to six hundred 1904 and earlier automobiles in attendance.

The production high wheeler automobile as we usually think of them, are basically a common to America thing because whereas Europe and England had some pretty good roads dating clear back to the Roman Empire, decent roads outside of cities and towns in this country were quite rare before the early 1910s. Most production high wheel automobiles in this country were manufactured 1907 through 1912. Only a few are early enough to qualify for the London to Brighton Run (early Holsmans being among the few). But they still have a feel and appearance that is quite special, even in a hobby where "special" is commonplace.

A good high wheeler automobile has been near the top of my want list for a very long time. I have come close to buying several over the years, but something usually got in the way. I have always wanted one to tour with as much as I could. But so far, hasn't happened.

CONGRATULATIONS Gary K!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas M. Edfors on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

Gil, I am with you regarding trying to get a show of, and perhaps a tour of, high wheel automobiles. Little interest so far but you are not the only one 'howling in the wilderness'. My 1909 Sears needs a new friction wheel but Paper Pulleys is expensive, unless I can get three to five others to purchase one. Anyone with a Sears interested in going in with me and buying a new friction wheel? Gary, good luck in your search for a high wheel. Let us all know, please, when you find one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 01:01 pm:

Thomas Edfors, Try these folks: http://www.paperpulleys.com/pages/special.html

See the Lambert thread for more information and pictures of their work. Odds are good they made your original friction wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

If you want a practical high wheeler, buy an IHC Auto Buggy or Auto Wagon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

early sears motors have only one crank through for two cyls . i use to have a lot of broken ones, traded all for an indian motorcycle. the last ones they made had an offset motor, never could find one, they should be ok.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 03:01 pm:

p.s. i now have a 1908 mod b brush, its a wide track high wheeler. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 11:30 pm:

charley, when did Brush make a high wheeler? My '12 has 28x3 tires, and I thought all the earlier years were that size also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 02:47 am:

Brush built a "semi"-high wheeler (small solid tires About 34 to 36 inch if I recall correctly) I believe only their first two years. Last I read, only two were known to survive. I have seen several pictures of the light blue one. Nice car.

So, Charlie, how about posting a picture of yours?
Brush is another one I always wanted. I almost bought one once. A 1909 model D as I recall. But the fellow couldn't make up his mind to sell or not. He later took an offer exactly what I had offered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 10:14 am:

There was a regular participant of the New London to New Brighton run in Minnesota who drove a "high wheel" Brush. It was a very well restored car.

I haven't seen it on the run for at least ten years. Don't remember who owned the car. If I recall correctly, it was light blue/gray.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 10:16 am:

Erik IT was told to me buy the previous owner that my Sears had been a participant in the New London to New Brighton run . Is there any one I could contact to verify this and maybe find out what year or years it ran. And maybe who the owner was at that time . IT is a Model J ser # 2392 .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Kmiecik - WI on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 11:27 am:

Perry, my sears is real close to yours, Model J #2373 . Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Perry:

Contact the organization. They should have records in their files of all past participants.

http://www.antiquecarrun.org/contact-us.html

Note that Dean Dorholt and Eric Hylen are active in the Model T hobby and also contribute to this forum.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration