Low cost drip pans?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Low cost drip pans?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

Wanting something to put under cars to catch the drips, I began a search online. Mein Gott! ¡Díos mío! Good golly Miss Molly! One was priced at $234 and change. They weren't all like that, but a lot were priced considerably higher than I expected. So I decided to bring the question here. Has anybody found a drip catcher that's both effective and inexpensive? I was surprised to find that HF has none.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:01 pm:

cookie sheets I get them at tag sales for $1 or $2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:03 pm:

Cardboard It's free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:05 pm:

Walmart has them. It's been a while since I last bought one but it was around $10. I keep them under all my cars and have screwed some into the floor of my trailer as well. I keep a bit of cheap kitty litter in them to absorb the oil and scoop it out when it gets saturated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:05 pm:

Steve, are you home now?

I use large sheets of cardboard that I seem to accumulate often enough from purchases of car parts and other stuff. If I run short, I just go to one of the local stores and ask them if I can grab a few knocked-down boxes from the giant pile that most of them have in the back.

If you're set on purchasing a metal pan, Advance Auto has one on special for $10.99:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/flotool-galvanized-drip-tray-11430mi/9016759 -p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=9016759-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpc2x4d7W 3QIVybbACh1bxgtkEAQYASABEgIyLfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLeovOne1t0CFQVqwQod7E4J2 A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:05 pm:

The pan out of an old dog crate/kennel, will do a great job. They come in steel and plastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pete Osmanski on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

AutoZone has them for $10.99

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-drain-pan/flotool-large-drip- tray/475418_0_0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:08 pm:

At our local rural king farm store, you can buy the large pet cage liner replacement pan for about $16. It is hard plastic. I also use one under plant pots that I bring inside for the winter. Catches dirt and spilled water! About a 1" lip all the way around to keep pet messes in! There are several sizes available. Great to meet you, Steve at the OCF! Should have loaned you the bike to get home with!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:11 pm:

An aluminum turkey pan works good.
I have a couple cookie sheets from when my daughter worked at a bakery, Big ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:15 pm:

I have a large, low profile galvanized drip pan under my modern car that I picked up at an estate sale for a couple bucks.

Auto parts stores such as Autozone have galvanized drip pans:

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-drain-pan/flotool-large-drip- tray/475418_0_0. For example, my local Autzone stores sells them for $10.99.

I've also even seen them at Walmart in the past but don't know if they carry them in the stores or if you have to order them:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=91083_1104294_1218940&grid=true&query=dri p+pan#searchProductResult

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

I have the drain pans that go under a washing machine for all my old cars. They hold lots of oil. Ha!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

If you have ground clearance, such as under a pickup truck or a Model T, you can use a plastic concrete mixing tub available in at least two sizes at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They are about 6 inches deep and also work great when draining a radiator. I bought mine for draining radiators, but just leave it under the car for storage and let it catch the drips too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:42 pm:

Steve, They have tool trays at Advanced Auto Parts. They are really just big cookie sheets. They are around $9 per.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Instness on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:54 pm:

I carry a roll of pet pee pads (meant for potty training or older pets that hold it for long periods of time)in my car just in case I am out somewhere and worried about dripping on someone's nice concrete. They are inexpensive and store easily in the car until they are need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

Mark, yes. I'll post a report later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson Athens, OH on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

Also, trays that are meant to put shoes in to keep the mud off the floor in your house work nicely too. Shaped like a cookie sheet but somewhat bigger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 03:51 pm:

Old photo trays ... or cheap tray for hot water heater. I pour in about two inches of vermiculite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 04:05 pm:

Hi i use a cheep tray and use cat litter in it works very well and cheep

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 04:34 pm:

Steve : I use this in the garage and on the road .
1637L
1638S
1639M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 04:36 pm:

Unless your T is a real gusher for leaks cardboard sheets work just fine.
Refrigerator or freezer boxes work great since they are a little heavier than standard cardboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 04:37 pm:

I use cardboard from washing machines, dryers, etc.
When it's time for a change, I just switch them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

Well, I used to use cardboard, but I have fixed all the oil leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Mahoney on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 04:41 pm:

shower curtain. Fold it long ways - fits nicely between wheels and cover a lot of turf. Throw some saw dust on it in the drip areas. Rinse it down when needed. Easy to carry to car shows or your friend's pristine driveway!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

Isn't your baby a little old for a diaper, Toon ? JK lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 06:17 pm:

You might want to check your local hardware/farm stores. I was surprised to see some at an old time hardware store in Culver City. I suspect they are out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 06:20 pm:

You might want to check your local hardware/farm stores. I was surprised to see some at an old time hardware store in Culver City. I suspect they are out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Spies - Ft. Walton Bch,FL on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

google PIG MAT
It absorbs the oil in the tray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Spadafore on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 09:51 am:

You could check out restaurant supply stores. Aluminum, full-size (18x26) sheet trays are usually less than $5 from most of them. The standard lip on them is about 1/2". You can get high-sided ones (2" lip) for a little more $. Webstaurantstore.com is about as inexpensive as you'll find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 10:40 am:

Pig mats are awesome, Herb.
A little pricey, but sure are less messy for spills and such than clay floordry.
I use the ones on a roll in my shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 11:10 am:

Steve,

HF has cheap blue tarps, they usually give away as a free item when you make another purchase, they work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 11:17 am:

I saw a diaper, like Toon's, on a TT, at a show here in Colorado. My son thought it was a skid plate but closer inspection showed it to be an oil diaper.

We had to use similar under our cranes when we couldn't drop any oil on a floor. You just have to remember to change the absorbent in the diaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 11:31 am:

I use an old baking sheet from a resturant supply
with oil dri in it to asorb the liquid. Cost $3.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 11:42 am:

I use the $12 galvanized pans, and put a thin layer of floor dry in them so they don't spill over when you move them, or have to worry about the kids or dog walking across them if the car is outside.

I put them under anything that says Ford on it in my shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 12:01 pm:

Yeah Derek, I have a dedicated baking pan for my 77 H-D !
They mark their territory like a dog ! lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

Me telling my brother about my Model T when I got it.

ME:"John it doesn't leak any oil!"

JOHN: "Just wait till you drive it."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 11:27 am:

I made a large one for a radial engine years ago, maybe 4'x 4'. I used a half sheet of furnace tin bent up the sides by pounding out over an old picnic table and soldered the corners. With a little thought you could roll each edge over so it is soft, then cut your reliefs and bend the sides up, and solder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

I used a scrap piece of drywall for a couple of years, it soaked up all the drips. Never did fill it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Cwynar- Hell, MI on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

I second the cookie sheets. I get the large ones at Gordon foods. They have “full size” sheets they are larger than the home use one we are used to in the kitchen. I keep several around from under the car and on the work bench. They are nice to keep small projects together from small parts rolling away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 12:54 am:

I have three of the ones from Advance Auto in a line screwed down to the center of the trailer floor. We did that on the last trailer also. In the garage I use cardboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

I don't know what Toon has under his tarp but I've found a superabsorbent baby diaper like Huggies works very good under a modern car that I service frequently for a rear main leaking issue. It could certainly work good under a T and comes with some attachment tapes.

The Pig mats are also filled with SAM.

My choice at home is cardboard and Ultra Black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 02:00 pm:

I use two I bought from Wal Mart. Teachers buy them to attach magnets to. They work great and are cheap.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration