My new Ford!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: My new Ford!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:31 pm:

Finally have a Model T again just like the one I started with in 1954. I wanted one with a solid but original as possible body, not a project that would take forever to get going and not so nice I couldn't leave it set outside and get rained and snowed on, one that wouldn't mind a little mud and water and dirt and dust and gravel. Found this one at an estate auction last Saturday about 200 miles away. I had seen it a few times years ago when he took it to a couple local shows and once probably 20 years ago when I visited him.

We went and got it yesterday, the body is very solid except for the panel below the trunk lid which is pulled part way off (the auction company apparently hooked a strap on the spare tire to pull it out of the garage backwards) and the trunk lid which is in primer instead of the original paint the rest of it wears. In the photo it looks like gray primer but it is the original Moss Green or whatever that color was. Actually looks pretty good, sure with I had a trunk lid that matched. I might just take this lid off and leave it off. Look better without it.

Needs a top, needs an interior, hasn't run for years but hoping it will this afternoon. Tires are old original Sears Allstate whitewalls so new the titties are not even worn off and all pretty nice except the right front which set flat. Engine appears to have been at least worked on, has coils, etc., probably driven in the garage some time in the 90's and never started again. Has a Vaporizer, no Ruckstell and one broken side window. Fenders have been beat out with a hammer a few times over the years. That was kind of the quality of his restoration work. I'm OK with it. Didn't want a perfect one.

The guy was a huge rancher, lived well into his 90's and left a multi million dollar ranch and all proceeds from the auction to the Shriners Hospital. Bachelor all his life. I didn't know him well but had met him a few times. It is 6 miles from the gate to his ranch to the house, who knows how many miles of ranch beyond that. Beautiful place, about 40 miles to the closest town and probably at least 10 to the closest neighbor. Somebody we were talking to said it was over 75,000 acres. Probably was.

It was cold and windy and raining and snowing and sunny and beautiful and everything else Montana weather has this time of year.

Has Montana Pioneer Plates as well as 1927 Montana plates on it.

Threshing Bee in Great Falls this weekend, hoping to take it up there Sunday and drive it around.

Couldn't get my camera to work at the ranch, took this photo at the top of the Judith Gap hill with the largest wind farm in Montana in the background. There are 154 of these tower generators.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:37 pm:

Looks good Stan. Please keep us posted and photo document your progress. You know we all like pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:41 pm:

I should also say thanks to my friend and good customer Willie who bought $3000 worth of carburetors last week so I had money to send Jeff to the auction and buy this. Jeff has a 15 year old foster daughter who had never been to an auction. She bid on it and got. I wasn't there but she was pretty excited about it and was showing people the three pedals and the levers under the steering wheel and the coils and the gas tank by the windshield. Jeff told her before she bid she had to know some things about it if she was going to spend my money. I was surprised at how interested she was in it. She bought a bunch of other stuff for Jeff and I, too. He is hauling one load today, we will be going back as soon as we can borrow a 4 wheeler or a tractor small enough to haul up there. He bought the coolest manure spreader I have ever seen, I want it to park by the gate to my little ranch, it will take some doing to get it out of the junk pile it is in and we are going to try to go on a day Kai can go with us because she was the bidder on it. (If you think you have it tough you should hear her life story)

I bought a lot of boxes with mostly Model A parts in which I'm not interested in and a few Model T parts, the best of which has a Vaporizer setup with a governor built into it. Probably off a Gleaner Combine. Very cool. Not much else worthy.

I'll post more pictures when I have a chance.

Today -- the carburetor business will have to wait. Tomorrow I will be in the shop working on some OF's. Today -- nope! Want to hear it run. John Steele is coming to look at it this afternoon. He just bought a 22 coupe to add to his collection. We be Model T Guys!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

Good for you Stan!!! About time you do a bit more for yourself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 03:24 pm:

NICE !!
You could've fit 2 on that trailer...just sayin !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 03:45 pm:

Congratulations Stan. Montana 500 next year? :-)

Enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Glad to see your back into Model T'ing.
If you have carburetor problems or need them rebuilt I hear there is a guy around Helena Montana that does that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 04:37 pm:

It looks good, Stan. I know you'll have fun with it. Enjoy!!!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

Congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

Stan I am happy for you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

Congrats Stan. Hope you find the correct carb for it (lol). I'm looking at a '22 coupe in similar condition and it's going to stay that way as "they are only original once". Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 08:14 pm:

Looks like a really snappy car. Anxious to hear the video of the first start. I can only imagine what carburetor will end up in there. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Iowa John L Williams on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

Stan: Hi From Iowa! I am so glad for you - no T guy should be without at least 0ne at All Times! I picked up a cute T Speedster for Our Grandson last week - it's even exciting for an Ole Guy like me to bring home a New Old T!! John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 10:18 pm:

Looks ready to drive right off the trailer. Congrats !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 11:06 pm:

It started right up with a battery and gas. Didn't get started working on it as early as I wanted, didn't get it unloaded but no reason to think it won't go, back up and stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 11:09 pm:

WOOT !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, Prescott, AZ on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 11:17 pm:

Stan, Quite a story about that 1927 T Coupe. Thatís great you found one like you started out with. Keep us posted. Congrats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 11:25 pm:

Stan, best of luck with it....Its always great for the hobby to see another T come back to life. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 11:43 pm:

Rob, I am too old and not brave enough to run the 500. Most of my tough has disappeared in the last few years.
I would like to build a speedster but doubt I ever will, I can't weld now and have pretty low nrg. I'll see how it goes. I have an engine built for one but nothing else done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 07:28 am:

Isnít it great when a little tinkering, a battery and gas gets a T running again? My wife loves that I have something in my life that distracts me from the stresses at work and the daily news. Itís wonderful to do simple problem solving ... a means to have at least one thing to see cause and effect and and make a positive change. Glad to hear you got her running. Do want to see more pictures or a video!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 08:02 am:

Hey, Uncle Stan -- That's great news about your getting the car, and about getting it running so easily. Glad to hear that you're "officially" back in the Model T Family. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 08:02 am:

Well said, Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 09:52 am:

My new favorite line, thank you Stan :-)

"Most of my tough has disappeared in the last few years"

As is my case for better or worse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

Stan,

Congratulations on your new Ford! They are wonderful time machines. And having one like the first T you had is special. Best wishes for many many wonderful memories.

The Montana 500 -- maybe they should consider adding some new classes? For example drivers over over 60, over 70, or just over the hill. Or maybe a shorter version as many of us can still easily do a Montana 50! OK maybe not today, but when we are feeling good.

Again best of luck with your new Ford!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

Glad to see you taking a bit of time to enjoy life. Nice ride Stan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kelly on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 03:03 am:

Stan, congrats!

It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Please, Im counting on an update.

https://www.canadabiz.net/company/9656286/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 04:10 am:

Way to go Stan! Drive the snot out of it!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, NL on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 05:32 am:

Stan, great car ! someone posted pictures this or last week, of a accessory pick up bed that slid in the opening of the coupe trunk, a period accessory, but i can't find them, maybe someone else remembers and can put them up...
Would be a cool solution to your rear lid issue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 09:18 am:

Looks like a winner!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 09:51 am:

It appears to have a sun roof that will let you enjoy the Big Sky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenneth w delong on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 10:00 am:

Good on ya!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 10:24 am:

Stan,

Great,have fun with it!

Finally someone who is credible to show the world how reliable and fun the venerable vaporizer really is!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 02:44 pm:

HA! I've actually had pretty good luck with them over the years. Somebody rebuilt this one somewhere along the line, it had been drained so the inside must be clean, it doesn't leak and it started right up and runs fine.

It is not going to happen for this weekend. It is about 47 out right now with cold and rain and some higher elevation snow in the forecast for the weekend. Wind is blowing, I am old and get cold pretty fast so if I go to the threshing bee at all it will be from inside my nice warm pickup.

We are 175 miles from the Canadian border. It shows this time of year when the weather is changing.

I also have some people who are desperate to get their carburetors so I am working on those today instead of my T. Next year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 12:49 pm:

"We are 175 miles from the Canadian border. It shows this time of year when the weather is changing."

HEY, don't blame your weather on us fine upstanding Canadians!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

Very nice....I love it

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration