Warford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Warford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

How much lube should be in an aluminum over/under Warford? I purchased a 27 roadster that has sat for many years. It is equipped with a Warford and has some lube in it now, but I suspect its low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio in TN on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

Richard,

The company contact information is:
Layne Machine Works, Inc.
1151 N. Chestnut Trafficway
Kansas City, MO 64120
816 231 3268
WWW.LAYNEMACHINE.com

Best of luck,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

Whether itís an original or KC Warford, if youíre not sure about the lube, drain it and wash it out with diesel. Then fill it up to the pipe threads of the pipe plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 04:35 pm:

Thank you both for the helpful information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 03:25 am:

That's going to be too full and be splashing out the top. The new Laynes have a fill level plug in the side.

If you use the 85-140 about 3/4 of a quart will be pretty good. The countershaft and lower gears really slings the oil well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 03:52 am:

My aluminium Warford has a 1/2" plug on the top which I assume makes it easier to put oil in and a smaller plug on the side about 3"s from the bottom making the oil level about in the centre line of the cluster gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 07:28 am:

Obviously I meant the full plug on the side about 3Ē from the bottom. Jeez !...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 09:59 am:

Do what George says.
I had an original aluminum Warford for several years.
I kept it full up to the side plug with 80-90 or 75- 140 and it never leaked or lost oil, but it did whine a little unless it was in direct drive.
I would not go too heavy on the gear oil as there are bearings in there that your local convenience store does not stock.
Keep it light enough to be sure everything gets lubed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 10:13 am:

We really need some clarification from the original poster as to WHAT aluminum Warford he has. The new ones may not have the same lube requirements as the originals. I use 600w or it's equivalent in my original cast iron unit as it has straight cut gears which would be the same as the original aluminum.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration