Oversized SCAT crank experience?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Oversized SCAT crank experience?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

I broke the crank on my 1914 engine. It was one of the New Zealand cranks from the late 1990s. I am going to use a SCAT crank.
I have two cranks available, one with standard journals and one with oversized (1.5) journals. The latter needs shortened rods and oversized bearing caps, which SCAT can supply.

Has anyone experience with the oversized SCAT crank?

Is it worth the extra $850?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 04:26 pm:

With recent experience fresh in mind, I wonder how available those special parts are if you have to replace a rod out on the road somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 04:29 pm:

Don't have experience with them, but .250" larger journals has to be stronger.
Do you know what caused the old one to break ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 04:36 pm:

Tony, I have a model A crank conversion for a T. It is balanced and has been waxed for protection. Main jurnals 1.585
Rod jurnals 1.462. I got this unit from Mark Chaffin and now I have changed my plans to use. Asking $450 including shipping. Since machined it has not been used. This is a very nice crank. Let me know if you have any interest. Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 09:28 pm:

Tony

If you like call me and I can answer any question you have on Scat cranks. I have installed many and run them also in my cars.. Be glad to share info . 918 two six 0 2525.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 10:39 pm:

Tony:
I have only installed 1 Scat oversize crankshaft , but have installed 6 standard T size shafts all were excellent quality I would give an A+ counterweights can sometimes hit the dipper tray have not used the rods always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John From Oregon on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 12:16 am:

Sam, sent you a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 12:58 am:

I have a scat stroked crank in my T and it works great but I think I would be just as happy with a standard scat and not have to do any mods to fit the thing in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, October 01, 2018 - 01:18 am:

I pulled the motor and was pleasantly surprised by the very small amount of damage. Rods 1 2 3 and mains 1 2 look and measure just a thou below standard. Of course rod 4 is badly damaged as the break was mainly in the bearing area. I may replace main 3 as the end play is approaching 0.015.
This is a picture of the broken crank.

With the minimal damage I have decided to go with a new SCAT standard crank.
I have no idea what caused the break. The engine was line bored when the crank was installed in 2003 and it uses one of Les floating transmission shafts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Monday, October 01, 2018 - 07:13 am:

I did a short block for some one in Michigan, the top of the rods had to be machined, they where hitting the camshaft, Skat said they never heard of that happening before? I had heard that Egge was no longer making pistons for the old Model A conversions so if you want the A crank the only way to go is the Skat conversion? It is a whole lot less work from the old way of machining the block for everything to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 01, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

I am very sorry that you have experienced this failure of the crankshaft. You have a lot more experience than I, but I am running a SKAT standard crank in my touring. I also have the stock high head. So far it runs smoothly. I would suggest that you check all the main bearings because if the center main is worn, it could likely be in the top of the bearing in the block. Then when you tighten the cap it holds a slight twist in the crankshaft which will eventually cause metal fatigue and a broken crankshaft. So check the alignment of all the bearings in the block.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 12:08 am:

I found a standard SCAT crank with Adam in Wisconsin.
Thanks to everyone who responded and offered advise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 12:10 am:

I found a standard SCAT crank with Adam in Wisconsin.
Thanks to everyone who responded and offered advise.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration