Virginia plate registration

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Virginia plate registration
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bradley Kirtner on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

Va drivers, does anyone have some insight on being able to drive your cars every day. I know that , regardless of insurance type, using vintage or antique plates the dmv limits your miles and how you drive your car. I'm getting closer to being able to drive my car and quite frankly if t has gas in it I'll want to drive it. What can I do to ensure I can drive a T how and whenever I want. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio in TN on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

Bradley,

When I lived in VA until 5 yrs ago, you had to provide proof that you had a modern car registered in the state. If you were to contact any car club president, they may be able to assist you.

Best of luck,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

Can not drive more than 200 miles to a show. Only suppose to drive with antique plates to parades, repair , testing . Not suppose to be a daily driver with the antique tags and as noted proof of another daily driver required.However I see cars daily I know are driven for work. Police don't bother for hard to prove status of trip. Antique auto insurance is a must as regular companys as State Farm want the car show room quality and not being restored. Thy want to insure as any car for high price. You can go to Va DMV and find statues for antique plates. I drive mine when feel like it and have never been bothered by officials. My car had a 1985 title and DMV could not find it when I got my plates so had to re issue a new title to get my plates. Think two choices black and white plates or orange and think blue letters not sure but black looked better on my truck. Plates were think $50.00 one time and good life. Some DMV people kinda lost with these plates. Asked about vin # and millage. Told unknown and had no vin plate just serial because no speedometer. No clue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 11:00 pm:

I had that situation... in Virginia, it seems to me that, if DMV wasn't notified by the owner about the sale of the original car that the plates were on, then DMV assumes that the plate still belongs to that person even though the car might be long gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 07:31 am:

I took the original title to DMV in 1985 and had the truck titled to me. It sat un plated in my shop until last year when I wanted to put it back on the road. The state found my brother's 1919 title but could not find my 1985. Think just wanted the re title fee,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 08:45 am:

The Virginia DMV web site:

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#antique.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 12:23 pm:

Best to go to the DMV and read. Laws change. For VA you do need to sign a form that states you have another car. Your registration is permanent, no more inspection sticker, no property tax, and you are not supposed to drive it to work. I'm always "testing" mine when I drive it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration