Brass strap in touring car top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Brass strap in touring car top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Butler on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

What is the purpose of the brass strap?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 01:32 pm:

There was a length of brass almost shim stock maybe 4 inches wide that ran from the front bow to the rear one on my original 1913 touring top. The only function I could think of would be to be a non stretching link front to back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

The original '14 drawing shows them. They are brass sheet stock, 0.010" thick. Jim is right; they are to provide resistance and help prevent the top deck from tearing while allowing easy folding. Some cars only have them from the front bow to the second but the drawing shows them stretching to all four bows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 07:14 pm:

I have never heard of such an item. Can anyone post a picture? Or show the drawing? At least a sketch? Just one? Centered?

I just may learn something today.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 07:30 pm:

I have heard of that, but haven't seen one. You can't see it because it is placed inside the pads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

Larry, Dan Killecutt's original '13 has them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

My original 15 touring has them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

How long were they used? From when to when?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 07:51 pm:

Keith, here is detail from the drawing. It's kinda small, but if you look to the left of the center the printing reads "Sheet Brass #30 BCS Ga = .010 x 1-1/2" Wide For Tieing (sic) 1st $ 2nd Bows Together"

The only location dimension given is that the inside edge of the straps are 24" from the center on each side. They run from the front edge of the front bow, where the metal is trimmed to match the bow radius, to the rear edge of the second bow, where they are trimmed flush with the edge.

application/pdf
img20180927_19454749.pdf (48.8 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 08:08 pm:

Thanks, RV. I'll have to save that image.

I see the diagram even shows the side curtain storage strap location.

How long were these features used?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

RV,Up to 1913, The tops had X straps in the tops,to keep the top straight.
Do you think that the brass piece was put in to eliminate the extra strap? It was probity used up to the one man top, ( the top was fastened to the top of the windshield at that time )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Woolf on Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

Guys,
This is some very timely information. We will making and installing a top on a 13 touring sometime later this year. I own a 13 that is pretty original but the top cover was missing when I bought the car. The brass strips between the top bows are something I was unaware of. Are the brass straps inside the bow pads? Are there any references to the bow pads on the drawing?

RV did you get your drawing from the Henry Ford? I would like get a copy from them if you donít mind sharing the document information.

As long as I have been working on Tís there is always new stuff to learn!

Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 05:54 am:

My original June of 16 top had them also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 10:05 am:

When driving my 1911 with the top up, the X straps flap - a lot - and the noise is quite annoying. This is one reason I rarely drive with the top up. As Pete points out, maybe these brass strips were designed to eliminate the X straps and possibly the noise they created?

So much to still learn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 10:16 am:

Keith: Yes, they are inside the pads. Dan K's original '13 still has the original top which is torn in a few places. I slipped my hand into one of the holes and could feel the strips.

Alan, I did get it from the Archives, part #T-7029. There were some differences in the '13 and '14 tops; unfortunately I have found the '13 roadster top and the '14 touring but not vice versa.

An excerpt from "The Model T Ford Owner", by Murray Fahnestock, p. 157: "The general procedure for recovering the touring top is much the same as for recovering the top of the roadster--with the exception that in the touring car tops, there are (sic) a pair of thin brass straps, running over the vertical bows to the front bow. These brass strips take most of the strain, when when the top is stretched in place, thus greatly reducing the chance of tearing the fabric top material."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

Our September 1914 Touring had them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 02:09 pm:

The Fahnestock article was written in February 1922, and from the language used it would seem that the strips were still in use then.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration