OT - Dyke's Home Study Course Models

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Dyke's Home Study Course Models
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 09:21 pm:

In the back of my 1913 Dyke's Automobile Encyclopedia is an advertisement by Dyke's for a correspondence course in automobiles, along with "working models" of automobile components, such as a high tension magneto, a four cylinder engine, a clutch and gearbox, and other components.

Has anyone here own or ever seen one of these models?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson - Houston, Texas on Friday, September 28, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 09:22 am:

From the literature search, it is a possibility the models were cardboard cutouts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 09:52 am:

Thanks! Looks like the models are mostly flat, only marginally 3D. I did find a couple Youtube videos of the models being operated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6I2cUMI634

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njxoPFfPOK8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

The steam engine ones are cardboard models, show how different valve gears work. Rather scarce too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 02:08 pm:

They DID make a four cylinder, distributor/coil type model that was actually operational. Connecting a couple of dry cells provided spark to four spark plugs in a rack on the model. The idea was to instruct the student in cam timing, distributor point timing, etc.

I've never seen one in real life, but do remember a picture of one years ago. I think it was on Harry's Old Engine Pages, but not sure.

Reminds me, I saw a couple of REALLY nice metal models of a complete axle/differential and gear transmission in our local library of all places! I believe they were donated years ago when the local high school stopped teaching auto shop.

Maybe I should go over and renew my library card...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, NL on Monday, October 01, 2018 - 08:19 am:

Thanks, now i can't sleep till i have one of those ;-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration