U-Joint tolerances

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: U-Joint tolerances
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 06:37 pm:

In the continuing saga of trying to take my rear end apart, I managed to get the U-Joint off today and wonder how much slop is allowed? The side to side movement is in the area of .050 - 0.060 inches. The ends fit fairly snugly in the casting but there is a few thousandths gap. Other than the little side to side motion it feels pretty tight.

What tolerances are acceptable? Do I need to look at replacing it?

On a related matter, it looks like the bushing is babbitt so I will be replacing it. I also plan to install a fun projects pinion bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

Side to side is normal. Measure diametral gap of trunion with a wire or feeler gage and report back. From your description, though, it sounds fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

I need to get a wire feeler gauge - Meanwhile, I took some photos. The first shows the end fit while the second (arrows) show how much it can move side to side.

Ujoint1Ujoint2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

Tim,
Put back in, the next care taker will be doing the same, plenty of grease and they last for ever!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

Rivet back into place on the drive shaft and use. Once everything is in place it is self centering. The place you need to worry about wear is where the round fit thru the hole not how far it moves back and forth. That one looks next to new. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 04:06 am:

I think this a case of a slightly worn original Ford part
Is a better bet than some new replacements.
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 05:18 am:

Tim, if you keep that greased, it will probably out last you and a couple more owners too! :-) Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration