OT - I found a Model K today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - I found a Model K today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 08:45 pm:

Okay, so it was just a photo of a Model K (at least I think it is a K). I was at an 80th birthday party of a relative today and was looking through a photo album that was on display. The photo was taken in an area just north of Pittsburgh, PA. I believe the plate to be either 1910 or 1914 based on the dark color but I believe it is a 1910 based on the condition of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

Did any K come with that many hood louvers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

I believe that is a Winton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

Definitely a Winton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 10:38 pm:

Walter, I believe that you are correct. It does really have a lot in common with the K to my untrained eye. Thanks for the correction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, October 01, 2018 - 08:31 am:

Model K and the Winton 6-16 have similar lines. No hood louvers and the crank through the radiator (when visible) are two things I look for to distinguish the two models.

Another giveaway is the gear reduction box at the top of the K steering column, and long tapered brass column.

This is only photo I've found of a K (1906 model, with victoria body) with hood openings. Ford designed the K with rear engine flywheel with fan style blades to help pull air through the engine compartment from the radiator. Louvered hood sides would defeat that purpose. With the dust pan on and hood closed quite a bit of air moves through the engine compartment, exiting behind the dust pan.

I don't think I'd care for all the oil that would run out with open louvers on a hood.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration