OT--Ford sediment bowl that was a good change.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT--Ford sediment bowl that was a good change.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

I learned something this week that Ford did on the tractors and would have been great on the Model T. My Ford Golden Jubilee has had a drip off the sediment bowl this summer that I have been chasing around. I have had the bowl off and cleaned the screen, tightened the gas lines, played with the gasket and it would stop then start again.

This week I looked at the bottom of the gas tank and it was wet around the threads so worse case is that some water had been in there and I had a pin hole in the low spot of the tank. I disconnected the gas line from the carb and opened the shut off to drain it down...all done. Removed the gas line from the sediment bowl and removed the bowl, gas started pouring out all over me and the floor. I got a gas can under it with a funnel and probably caught another gallon but it seemed like 2.

Once I got the sediment bowl off and looked at the "knob" it has an arrow to open then another arrow to open full for reserve. The stand pipe has another setting where if you run out of gas on an early Ford tractor without a gas gauge and run out of fuel you can open it all the way out to get out of the field and by pass the stand pipe.

Henry Ford was a smart guy who liked farming and probably built this in because it is different running out of gas in a car on a road than running out of gas in the back 40 on your tractor. I have ran this tractor out of gas twice thinking I still had more and in fact I did.

This reserve sediment bowl is available from www.SteinerTractor.com and part # ABC038 at $20.75. It has a tank fitting of 3/8 pipe and 1/4 gas line. I think it might work on under seat tanks with a little plumbing but not '26-27 cowl tanks unless you are more clever than me.

If a Model T is out of gas you are done without a spare can. The Ford tractors have a reserve that I didn't know about.

By the way, I fixed it with thread sealer, no pin holes.

Regards,

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 11:20 pm:

You know, that's really not a bad idea. Since I have my heart set on building a speedster, I could get away with that and have a reserve!

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 11:28 pm:

You could buy a unit like that for the T's. My 56 VW had one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 06:04 am:

Guys: I tried one of those years ago. It seemed like it would not flow enough gas to run the car wide open. May have been the one I got, but I took it back off. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 06:10 am:

Come on guys, just check the tank once in awhile! If you are worried, take a gas can along! :-) :-) JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 06:37 am:

I modified a T sediment bowl to do this, but could never get it to quit leaking. It's a goid idea, but was beyond my machining capabilities.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration