Spanish Peaks Tour - Highway of Legends - Oct. 6,7,8

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Spanish Peaks Tour - Highway of Legends - Oct. 6,7,8
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Giarratano-Arvada, CO on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 02:50 am:

The Mile High Chapter is having a fall tour to the Spanish Peaks area in Southern Colorado next weekend. We can accommodate a few more cars if anyone is interested. Rooms are still available at the Cuchara Inn for $106 per night 719-742-3685. We will be traveling from Cuchara, Colorado on Highway 12 (The Highway of Legends) a designated Scenic Byway, to Trinidad, CO on Saturday Oct. 6th. On Oct. 7th we will travel from Cuchara, CO over 11,248 ft. Cordova Pass to Aguilar, CO and the Ludlow Massacre Memorial, (Colorado National Guard slaughtered five striking miners, two women and 11 children). We will travel back through coal mining ruins on dirt back roads. About 50 miles dirt and 50 miles paved. On Oct. 8th we will travel from Cuchara, CO to La Veta, CO and visit the Francisco Museum, the oldest original US fort in Colorado. Then it is on to some abandoned coal fields with remnants of buildings, a cemetery and gun turrets on the hillsides where the mine guards kept watch on the striking miners. We will then have a picnic at Uptop. Uptop is an old train depot at the top of the old La Veta Pass. Uptop made history in 1877 when the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad crossed the Rocky Mountains for the first time over Veta Pass. At the time it was the worlds highest railroad. We will then drive back to Cuchara to load the cars. All meals and expenses are on your own except the picnic on Oct. 8th. I will need to collect $20 per person for the lunch and porta potty. For questions call me at 720-215-8238

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 08:14 am:

We will be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 10:45 am:

That will be a great tour with spectacular scenery. If I wasn't going to Hershey... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

Sounds great - can a unmodified T handle the 11,248 ft pass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 05:28 pm:

Thanks for the tour notice Gary. Will this be an ongoing tour? Iím already committed to the Texas T Party in that time slot but would like to come to CO next year. Youíll need jackets in a week and I wonít....but your scenery will be breathtaking. Thanks again....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Giarratano-Arvada, CO on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

It helps to have a ruckstell for the passes. Saves left leg fatigue from the low pedal. The rule is,"if you go up in ruckstell, you go down in ruckstell.". At high altitude you may have to lean out the carb mixture. I was with a tour in 93 and about 10 Ts made it with no problems. If this goes well, I may make it an annual tour. We have 6 or 7 Model Ts and one Model A. Modern cars are welcome.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration