Can T start without a Choke? **

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Can T start without a Choke? **
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:15 pm:

Dear All,

My T starts well with couple of handle cranks but only after using the choke. Every time I start the T even if it has been started about 10 Min back but, when I restart I have to use the Choke. Is it normal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:35 pm:

Mine doesn't need choking if it's only been shut off for 10 minutes, but they are all different. I don't know that it is normal, but if it runs ok otherwise, i wouldn't be concerned. Maybe a low float setting or overly lean mixture. But, if it runs good..... I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

Maybe you have a tiny air leak which the choke has to overcome at starting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:43 pm:

how do I overcome this air leak?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:45 pm:

I would say, not normal.
I would think you may have the fuel mixture too lean.
Mine will generally start cold with no choke, it usually stalls if I don't feather the choke a little for 10-20 seconds.
You also may have an air leak at the intake manifold gasket.
You can check by blowing propane from an unlit torch around the gasket and see if the idle changes any.
Try opening the fuel mixture out about a 1/4-1/2 turn before shutting it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:51 pm:

Agree with James.
I have seen a 22 that would NEVER start when hot,or any other time, without pulling the choke.
After installing a 26 engine with an A crank, and using the same old carb, it always started without the choke when warm.
Musta been a vacuum leak somewhere.
Too bad they never had an accelerator pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:53 pm:

Yes and no. As Hal says, they're all different. Most will need some choking for a cold start, but not if the car has been running and has sat for a few minutes. Sometimes opening the carb setting a quarter turn will help in starting, but then you reset it to where it runs best when you're driving.

After the car giving you fits at first, I'm glad you got it running. Enjoy.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

My 1926 engine with NH carb almost always needs a quick pull of the choke to start, hot or cold. I step on the starter and as it cranks, I just give a quick out and in pull on the choke and it fires right up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

Agree with James.
I have seen a 22 that would NEVER start when hot,or any other time, without pulling the choke.
After installing a 26 engine with an A crank, and using the same old carb, it always started without the choke when warm.
Musta been a vacuum leak somewhere.
Too bad they never had an accelerator pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 02:19 pm:

Sid

don't worry about it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art McTevia on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 02:20 pm:

I never need a choke except in dead of winter.Maybe I am running rich,But it's been running fine for 5 years,With Brent Mize coils!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art McTevia on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 02:27 pm:

Brent Mize, If you see this,You were the nicest man I ever talked to on the phone,And ever dealt with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 03:02 pm:

All T's aren't exactly the same in how they start. To many variables to deal with.
Most T's that are driven fairly often generally will start the same. Maybe a choke pull or not.
A brand new rebuild will start differently than one that has a few thousand miles on it.
Timing, temperature, ignition condition, mileage all play a part in how a T starts whether it has a hot or cold engine.
It just does.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration