Throttle lever keeps pulling down when the T is engaged **

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Throttle lever keeps pulling down when the T is engaged **
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:20 pm:

Hello All,

My Throttle lever even after I have kept it say 4 notches down...when I drive it keeps pulling down couple of more notches and does not remain stationary at the position. Wonder why this is happening? Never use to happen before. Any advices?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

Maybe the resistance is getting looser and gravity and bumps are dropping it- try one of the wooden blocks that you clamp to the steering column to tighten up the rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

Thanks James.

Where exactly should I clamp the wooden blocks? Any pic would be of great help.

Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:43 pm:

Sid your profile doesn't say what year but if it has the stamped steel throttle and spark quadrant are the notches worn smooth? if they don't click when you move either of the levers it may be time to look for a better quadrant. If the throttle / spark quadrant is good how about the springs on the throttle and spark rods that keep tension on the levers?
https://www.modeltford.com/item/3527.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:48 pm:

Mine is a 1915 Roadster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:49 pm:

I think this is what James was referring to
https://www.modeltford.com/item/3524-25T.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

The wooden clamp accessory that help worn quadrants to hold the throttle and spark rods tighter can be made easily at home to avoid costly shipping from USA.
It'sp mounted on the steering column in the engine compartment. The hole for the steering shaft is oversized, while the holes for the rods are made just right to be able to tighten as needed.

ghy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 01:28 pm:

That looks like a good accessory. If the spring is not exerting enough pressure this can happen. I adjusted mine a little by bending the throttle lever forward a bit. I could move mine past the stop on the quadrant to do this. I'm not sure all will do that.
Regardless, be careful not to weaken the rod.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 10:09 am:

Does one need to remove the Steering Column to fit this? Any idea on how else to fit this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 10:17 am:

Sid, the block is split. Undo the wing nuts and place both halves on the column and install wing nuts. Tighten till the throttle rod has some tension on it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Check your timer. An incorrectly made front cam bearing and /or some aftermarket gears can cause the contactor to be too far forward. If you run a “new day” timer, the brush housing may be dragging on the inside of the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 10:38 am:

I'm using one of the wood blocks and it works pretty good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 10:53 am:

I really need to make up one of those blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 11:11 am:

This older link posted some easy 'fixes'.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/532173.html?1428887413

One fix is to use a wrench and bend up the quadrant a bit to get more tension.

May have worn down surface on the rods as they wear against the quadrant, or worn ridges on the quadrant face that lets the rod slip.

Or may have missing pin that holds the rod springs tight against the steering column, the springs are what control the tension to hold the throttle and spark levers against the quadrant. Or the springs are now too weak. That will require a complete restoration of the steering column pulled out of the T.

Here is a later spring rivet pulled away, showing the pin.

But the easy fix by bending up the quadrant will act to tighten the springs, might be the best start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

I use a small plastic tube on the ignition timing and throttle arms. It keeps it from moving and eliminates further wear on the quadrant.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration