Hyatt Bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hyatt Bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Monday, October 01, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

I removed the axle bearings today and have some questions. Using my calipers, the rollers mic'd out at .495-.496 and otherwise look OK. I understand that these bearings should be usable. Should I also replace the sleeves to get a better fit? The bearings come out of the sleeves easily.

Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 12:13 am:

If the sleeves Show any wear I would. In my case the old sleeves COULD have been used in a pinch, but I was in it to totally rebuild it. Since I was able to locate some .498 .499 Hyatts I went with the newer hardened sleeves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Ford specs called for 0.498" to 0.502" on new rollers, so it's possible that yours are worn only 2-3 thousandths from new. I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

I've often wondered about putting a sheet of .002 behind the sleeves to take up the wear that way. I haven't tried it, but thought of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

I agree with R.V. Worn sleeves often show an unworn ridge that corresponds to the bearing cage. If you're unsure, the reproductions available seem to be good quality. With no evidence of wear, originals are good enough. You might check the axle shaft diameter for wear as well. The Model T rear axle was designed to operate with a lot of literal "wiggle room".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 03:08 pm:

Sounds fine. You can shim the sleeves but for that clearance i don't think it'd be necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 03:45 pm:

When adding shim behind the sleeve remember to use a thickness HALF the clearance you are trying to remove. The shim closes the gap on both sides of the axle, so 4 thou gap only needs 2 thou shim.
(Some things you learn by doing!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble - New Hamshire on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 11:24 am:

If you shim the sleeves let us know how you did it, a shim that thin would be hard to get in there and not wrinkle up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 01:16 pm:

Brad not tired this, but perhaps a light dusting of spray adhesive on one side of the shim would hold it tight to the sleeve and enable insertion into the housing without damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 02:12 pm:

The Hyatt roller bearings run on the outer surface of the axle, and the inner surface of the sleeve. Both surfaces wear a lot over time, the Hyatt roller less so.

IMO, replace the axle with new, and replace the sleeve with new, and using a fine, tight cage, nice, original Hyatt roller within min. wear spec, and you will have the better results.

If a shim is needed to keep the expanded sleeve from moving, then that housing is well worn out and maybe has other issues too. Would be concerned a shim might keep the locking nub of the sleeve from staying in it's hole in the axle tube, and then that sleeve may spin.... bad news situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 08:33 pm:

Dan, I have used shims a few times. I cut them to shape and punch a hole for the locating nub and the grease cup as well.

Put two large jubilee clips on and screw then tight to collapse the sleeve and slide it in little as it goes moving the clips 'out' as needed. The last bit can take a bit jiggling to ease it in the last bit.

Fiddly, yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

I have used shims with no problems. I used steel shim stock not brass. It's been about 15 years so I don't remember how much. The sleeves were new.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 09:32 pm:

Thanks guys...nice to know.

Hope I don't run across a worn out enough axle tube housing to need shims for the Hyatt sleeve :-)

But maybe this axle housing could need shimming in the future, just about the most worn out Hyatt sleeve I have seen ever!

The rollers were likely rubbing on the axle housing inner for a while too :-(

Moral....turn those outer grease cups more often!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration