Where is the leak coming from

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Where is the leak coming from
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 08:15 am:

I have a water leak. Not sure if it from the cast plug or the head gasket.
My first assumption was the cast plug. But the more I think about it... it might be from the head gasket.
What do the wise gentlemen from the forum think?

Sorry I can't seem to get the picture to flip around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 08:28 am:

I had a similar issue with my T and it was leaking coolant
through two of the four manifold studs. It turns out that they aren’t all in a blank hole and can penetrate into the water jacket. I sealed the threads with Locktite 567 plus added a
“O” Ring that is held against the side of the block with a flat washer and nut. I had to extend the threaded section of the stud to accommodate the new nut. A much happier fix than removing the Cylinder Head for a blown Gasket
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 08:32 am:

Flipped

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thompson, Sudbury MA on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 08:59 am:

looks like that freeze plug is weeping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 09:28 am:

Maybe a little porosity in the block...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, NL on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 09:36 am:

Looks like the plug is the culprit here, water gets blown back by the fan along the edge of the valve cover thats why it looks worse than it really is, time for a buffalo nickel fix ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 11:28 am:

In that area, you could have a leaky freeze plug, a leaky gasket, a crack or rusted out water jacket, a leak around the manifold stud, or a leak around the hole or water outlet gasket.

I would suggest that you clean up the area as well as you can to remove all rust and signs of water from the area and then take off the fan belt and warm up the engine to operating temperature but not boiling. Let it cool off and inspect it very carefully in all the above mentioned areas. When it is cool enough to touch without being burned, run your fingers over those areas feeling for dampness. A very small leak can, over time leave a rusty or water stained area, so it might be hard to find. This method will eliminate the need to do un-necessary repairs. remember to put the belt on again. If you don't find the source of the leak, and it is very small, just keep your eye on it before each time you run the car and note whether it gets bad enough to need to add coolant. Eventually you will find the cause.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 11:29 am:

First paragraph should have been a leak around the hose.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 08:42 am:

Found the Water Leak.
Bought a rubber hose. Overpaid. Cut off the what was needed. Installed. Yes it is a little long, but I think the other one was a little short.
It is amazing what is found when the hood is actually removed.
Also flushed the block and radiator. I was running 50/50 and still pulled a lot of Mississippi mud. It seems that the flush needs to be a spring chore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 10:14 am:

So you have a Model T...and it is leaking?

This a common occurrence. Even new , in a show room even.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 10:34 am:

That is a great photo. And I suppose people took it for granted that the engine would leak? Imagine walking into a dealership today and seeing that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration