Picked up the rings at the motor shop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Picked up the rings at the motor shop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley Atlanta TX on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

I am so lucky having a first class electric motor shop less than 30 miles away, Allen Electric what a great bunch. They pressure dipped and baked the coils, and wouldn't take a penny. And by the way, making a punch will make the cutting of the insulators under the coils a lot easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 09:42 pm:

That's cool Bob! A valuable service to you and they wouldn't take any money... Guess where you'll go next time you need an electric motor. That was really nice.
I like that punch too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 10:49 am:

Bob: Nice work. What material are you using for the insulating washers? thanks, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

Fish paper?
https://express.google.com/u/0/product/12490897022272295927_13469759509392346747 _6480675?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt, eid-ygcnqnyulq&gtim=CIXS6IXmyYuVXRCL8cy7r7bXkbcBGJCehwMiA1VTRCiQ2aTeBTCjxosD&utm _campaign=6480675&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuuHdBRCvARIsAELQRQGjGxZ5YPJ8IXEsMJWFXAiU-8SFPw2Z eBGAXXEAqYIqw1Nlo-u5lcoaAgCEEALw_wcB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

Bob:

I would check the mounting surface of the mag ring, being sure it is metal to metal contact with the shims and/or block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley Atlanta TX on Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 07:15 am:

The paper is from a roll that was used to line the insides of a rail car. The roll is about 8’ wide, .018 thick and tuff as heck. The roll has hung in the shop for years with no ill effect from East Texas humidity. It has made countless gaskets, even pan gaskets by using 3 layers. You might check at your rail yard, with the folks that prep the box cars. Thanks for the heads upon the mounting surface. Wouldn’t that be a bummer to get it all back together and not have continuity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 10:11 am:

Thanks Bob and Mark: I used .020" thick fish paper from McMaster-Carr. It's really a bear to cut and may be overkill compared to what Bob is using. Once saturated in the varnish I suspect even a writing tablet backing cardboard would be ok, but I'm not recommending that. Nice thing about the fish paper is having it on hand helps if you ever need an odd sized electrical insulating washer or an emergency brush plate insulator. Best to both of you, jb

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration