Old Photo.....TT Hauling Henry's First....Whats going on?....Is this a parade?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo.....TT Hauling Henry's First....Whats going on?....Is this a parade?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lyndon Moore on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 08:56 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 09:01 am:

No back story to add, but what a cool old photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 09:54 am:

More people looking down on a Ford. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 09:57 am:

The guy on the sidewalk looks like he has more modern clothes than the rest of the onlookers.

Ball cap ?? short jacket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 10:44 am:

I think the sign says first ford. Maybe this was Henry cleaning out his office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 10:50 am:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 11:03 am:

What year is that truck? 1920? The year of the truck might be an indication of what was going on. Henry’s first quadracycle would not have been taken out for no reason. It is possible that it was being relocated to a new museum. Would anyone know where the original quadracycle was being displayed in the 1910’s and where it is being displayed now and and if that facility opened in about 1920? If so, it is possible that this photo is of the move taken by a newspaper photographer for the next morning’s edition. The spectators may have read about the move in the newspaper and came to see it without having to pay admission. In the days before TV and radio, any reported event was a source for entertainment. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 11:19 am:

I think I have seen this photo on here before. There might be some information in an old thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 11:26 am:

How about commemorating the 30th anniversary of the Quadricycle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Cibolo, Texas on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 11:29 am:

The size of the rear tires on the TT indicate 20" wheels and tires which I think would limit it to mid 20's. (24-27?). The sign definitely says, "First Ford". The black and white photo, the clothes, hats, and background indicate 'period photo'. As for the man in the short jacket, it may be just that; a jacket, rather than a coat or suit coat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Cibolo, Texas on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 11:32 am:

Also, TT enclosed cabs were introduced until about the same time as the 20" wheels (24?) As for this being the original quadricycle, I would think that even by the 20's that there might have been look a likes (dupes) made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 11:49 am:

I believe Henry Ford purchased the Quadracycle back in or about 1904.It is currently at The Henry Ford. I also believe it was kept in the garage at Fairlane along with the 999 racer from sometime after 1915 until being sent to the museum which opened around 1929.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

The TT shows the paint difference between hood and body and the radiator shell, a difference in color, or at least luster.
A 30th anniversary would place this in 1926, which seems to agree with the TT, but 1929 isn't too late to be using a two or three year old truck to transport the quadracycle to the new museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

It has been my understanding that Henry's original quadracycle didn't survive long, and he had a replica built under his direction? So all existing examples are replicas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

It would help if the posters of photos harvested from the internet would include a link to the web page from where they downloaded the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lyndon Moore on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

Sorry, I have no link for you to reference. This photo is part of my collection which has over 500 photos of Ford stuff. I have been trying to select photos that I do not understand or would like to have more information on. But I am surprised no one has mentioned the car in the background that is half blocked by something. This car looks to me like it could be a 28 or 29 Model A Ford. It is not clear, even in the original picture. Or is it a 26/27 Model T? I am just going bumper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 12:53 pm:

As you can see the sign says "FIRST FORD". The man following is obviously Charles De Gaulle, or maybe Groucho Marx.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 03:41 pm:

Is that Henry driving? He may be on the way to the first ever "Antique" car show and/or tour. It boggles the mind (or what I have left of one :>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 04:36 pm:

I don't think it is being transported to a different location. It's being hauled as a display, other wise they would not have it high on a platform with a sign on it telling what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 05:22 pm:

I know it's not the first time a Ford hauled the quad in a parade.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:00 pm:

I hope Rob see's this post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 09:19 pm:

An interesting article. Five months before the introduction of the Model T, a snapshot of the automobile as a "rich man's plaything." That's about to change . . .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration