OT. Need help identifying this automotive electric motor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT. Need help identifying this automotive electric motor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

Anyone know what this may have gone to? Its dated 1908 and weighs about 150lbs. Its about 11" long and 10" diameter the shaft is aprox 18" long. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

Probably an early electric car ?
60V 50A...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 05:13 pm:

So nominally 4 HP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

Don,

That was used in the very early electric tooth brushes. It was mounted on the outhouse wall and while reading and making good use of the Montgomery Ward, Sears & Robuck catalogs one could multitask by brushing their teeth at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 08:23 pm:

Mr Seth, is it not past your bedtime? I mean it must be dang near 7pm there...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Friday, October 05, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

Don,I've read 116,782 wanted ads in my lifetime and a number of them were wanting the motor for some old electric car. I've found two Baker Electric car motors in the local salvage yard here and were always able to find a buyer,usually right back in your neck of the woods. If it were mine I would put it on the Horseless Carriage site for at least $300-400.Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 04:46 am:

Thanks Steve, I've posted this on the FaceBook HCCA page. There is a guy interested in purchasing it. He says its definitely a electric car setup. Knowing that, I hope to get some responses on which E cars it was used in. Thanks again !! db

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 08:38 am:

Don,

Here is a photo of the early electric tooth brush being tested. The reason it didn't catch on was the big downfall to this design was that you had to leave the outhouse door open and modesty prevailed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 11:19 am:

Who you trying to kid Mr Seth !! Everybody knows that's your hat...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 03:41 pm:

Wow ! We just got a call from a fella out west that use to live in Michigan. He has the 1921 Milburn that this motor and controller belongs to. He traced the serial number and it matched his Milburn to a tee!! Small and fascinating world we live in. What are the odds of this ever happening? (this is a 1921 Milburn pictured, not the one being referenced)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 08:02 pm:

It looks like the Mr. Seth we all loved is back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

That's awesome, Don !!
Hard to believe the car is still around, let alone the motor...
Then to be reunited !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

Don,That's super. How did that motor escape the big iron drive over the last few years where it might have brought 40cents a pound? Just lucky. And I think I might have the front wheels for one of those Milburns.

Denny,Don't you recognize the new whole-house Swiffer duster?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration