1912 Stewart drop forged swivel castings for Speedometer set-up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1912 Stewart drop forged swivel castings for Speedometer set-up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 10:43 am:

A very kind & gracious friend from here on the forum has loaned me his original 1912 Stewart swivel. I am going to see the iron foundry on Tuesday morning to hopefully have the castings copied for my own personal project of completing my Stewart model 26 speedometer set-up on my '13 touring. This is the last part I require to complete mine.

My idea is that I have a later Stewart pot-metal swivel with a set of gears in it that are SIMILAR to the original ones. They are NOT the same, and the gear's center distancing is different (greater). However at this point, I "think" I can fudge the measurements enough and modify new castings to work with the set of gears that I have. Once it's together, who cares? As long as it works and it looks okay.
I've blue printed all the original pieces, and parts and I'm hoping that this project will work.
At this time I do NOT know what it will cost me to have the castings copied, and I do NOT know if I can actually do this with a later set of gears, but at the very least I can machine new castings to original specs, and have them at the ready if I make the proper gears myself. I have been doing tool & die work for this hobby and antique phonographs,& music boxes for 35 years and have my own shop.

Please bear in mind that the original swivel on loan has it's own small visual defects, so those markings will be re-created in new castings, plus using castings for patterns will result in slightly inferior looking (less definition) smaller copies due to shrinkage. These castings are small enough that I do not think the shrink will factor in much. Done this with other parts a million times for years.

Machining the castings will require some jigs and fixtures, and a bit of further reverse engineering. Making the brass and steel parts will also require materials and labor.

So the bottom line is at this point, anyone interested in just blank castings un-machined?

I think what I will do to start ,is have a couple of pairs of castings done, and do a time study on how long it will take to machine them up and and all the other parts, and get back to everyone here after Tuesday to let you know what the actual raw castings will cost me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 10:53 am:

What does this swivel look like, I have a later swivel on the 12 but have other swivels in a box is it made of iron? I will have to check and see what is in the box Pictures wood be great as for the carbide tank I will have the pictures for you shortly Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 11:24 am:

Hi Colin, yes it is iron. This is the exact one I'm copying:

Here are the castings ready for copying. I've left LOTS of material so that it makes it easier to machine in my lathe and milling machine:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 11:29 am:

Darren , without any doubt in my mind you can make these, but I have had at least two or three over the last couple years for sale. I donít think it would be very hard to find one, but maybe you need something to do ( which I doubt ). Perhaps you flunked the patience class like I did ?? Always best, t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 12:09 pm:

LOL, good one Tim :-) These are tough to find, and when they come up, like on eBay, there's always a bidding war!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Konarowski on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 12:31 pm:

Is it a lost wax casting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 12:45 pm:

Hi Joe. No, that costs too much for this project. I will be having a foundry near me that I've used for years for many projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

So how the Question the original swivel from my 12 was worn out so Dad replaced it with a newer one but the original one is not cast how long were the cast units used? Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Saturday, October 06, 2018 - 02:57 pm:

In looking at the speedometer book the pot metal comes out in 1914 so I will have to go to the garage and look for a cast swivel in the collection are there any numbers on the cast swivel Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 11:54 am:

According to Russ Furstnow's great book, the only markings on these parts is that each half has a part number of 12-A & 12-B. No Stewart logo.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration