Old Photo - TT towing a T Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - TT towing a T Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lyndon Moore on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 04:14 pm:

I have over 500 T photos in my Photo collection. I would enjoy sharing them with everyone. But since I am new to the Forum, I just did not want to start another civil war.
Notice the rear axle on the TT. Wasn't there something in the Vintage Ford about these recently? PC T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 04:55 pm:

Nice photo. Maybe a Smith Form a Truck ? Looks like roadster body on truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 05:08 pm:

I would enjoy seeing a few more from time to time.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 05:16 pm:

Agree with Dallas, 15/16 form-a-truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

love to see them all!!!!!!!!!!!charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 06:04 pm:

Is that Touring a wide track? Fenders look wide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 06:30 pm:

Very interesting picture. Both are '15/'16 Ts, the one, being an early form-a-truck, I don't know which one of the several being offered in those days it was. I really would like to see some good articles, or studies, on all the known "truck conversion kits" offered for model Ts and other cars. The Smith is probably the best known, and they were being offered by 1915 for Fords. Graham Brothers, better known for the Graham Paige automobiles of the very late '20s and early '30s, were also then offering conversion kits for Fords as well as many other marques (I have read that even a Stutz chassis was converted to a truck using a Graham kit. Later, the Graham Brothers partnered with Dodge and built mostly complete trucks sold through the Dodge dealerships. There were at least a half dozen others, most producing only a few, for a few years.
After the TT was introduced, the demand for conversion kits pretty much dried up. It is interesting to note that after the TT became available, conversion kits continued to be offered to turn the lowly one ton TT into an even larger multi-ton truck!

The truck does not appear to be set up for auto recovery. It looks to be a standard box delivery or grain type truck. The front axle of the touring has been removed (it appears to be sitting in the forward area of the box, left wheel badly broken). Looking closely, I think one can see one end of the front spring sitting on the back end of the opened box. The car is probably tied forward to keep the it from sliding off the back end. Not much side room in that box for what ever is left of the front end of the touring. Doesn't look like that rig has much of a short turning radius. I am guessing it must have been a fairly straight run into town.

The touring looks clean and shiny. It can't be very old. Which also means the runabout was converted to a truck when it was nearly new as well. With all that front end damage? I find it interesting that both rear tires are missing. Sort of like one being blown out of one's shoes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

Thank you Dean K! I had seen that and wondered myself. Again, thank you for bringing it up. I am undecided on the answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Vrana Kewaskum wi on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

Military enlistment advertising on the billboard? Possibly during the war,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 06:55 pm:

I'd be willing to bet that if a wrecked car sat out over night the expensive tires would be gone by morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

I too would love to see your collection posted on the forum.

We learn so much from the old pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen, Madera California, USA on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

Or maybe the T touring owners kept the rear tires when they sold the T for salvage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 01:26 am:

I wonder if they left the transmission in high gear in the Touring to avoid burning the clutch and fourth main by towing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

It was a salvage car and only pulled for a mile across town. Probably pulled it with no tires on it as well. I've done it plenty of times. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen, Madera California, USA on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 12:59 am:

Another option for a short tow was to remove the rear axle keys and put axle nuts back on loose. Replacement axles and rear hubs were less expensive than major engine work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 01:12 am:

Look how wide the rear fenders on the touring are, esp the bent one. Maybe wide track.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration