Newport hill climb….Camshaft recommendations….For Chevy head Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Newport hill climb….Camshaft recommendations….For Chevy head Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lyndon Moore on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 01:07 pm:

I went to Newport Indiana for the hill climb last weekend for my first time. I really enjoyed it. I am really surprised this week that someone has not mentioned this on the forum. I was really impressed with some of the T speedsters on how they run. I raced dirt track cars for 25 years, from street stockers to full blown late models with all aluminum engines. I finally gave it up in 2003. I have not been to a race since until this weekend. Now I have the fever again. I think this car would be a little bit slower and cheaper to operate. I have plenty spare parts and chassis to build a speedster. The engine would cost me very little by using the Chevy head set up I already have. But where I am totally lost is a camshaft for that set-up. Or does the Chevy set-up not run any better than some of the new aluminum flatheads for the T’s?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

Lyndon, I was at the Hill Climb. Been going for many years now and enjoy it a great deal. You are correct about the T speedsters. They are a lot of fun to watch. My son has a speedster with the Chevy head and it runs like its hair is on fire. He does not run at Newport because he has juice brakes on the rear. You should get a copy of the rules before you build to make sure you will be legal when you get there. I think you can get a copy from their website. Hope to see you next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

Lyndon,

Welcome to the new bad habit of speedsters. Been doing this for some years with a Chevy Head and others. On a AB 1928 Chevy Head a 280 cam works very well. On the single port Chevy Head and triple exhaust port Olds, decking needs to be done at the rocker stands to pull the desired performance. Setting the valve spring pressures to around 75 lbs installed will keep the valves from floating over stock. Small block Chevy 350 valve kits work perfect, shim accordingly.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 08:28 am:

The beauty with the '28 Chevy head is the 1:1.5 leverage in the rocker arms, giving a good lift even with a std camshaft. If using a higher lift cam, check carefully so the valve keepers doesn't bottom out on the valve guides. A friend bent a few rocker arms before he noticed the problem.

The resulting combustion chamber from the conversion isn't optimal for top performance, though it'll be better than most (but not all) flathead T's. To beat the Model A crowd you'll need something else.

Good luck and have fun :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration