Ford TT Rear Ends

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ford TT Rear Ends
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 06:17 pm:

Saw this at my local junk yard. Worth picking up? I don't have a TT, but maybe worth some resale?

TT Rear End 1

TT Rear End 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

Lots of useable parts there. Those hard rubber tires are in nice shape. If the wood spokes are in good shape that may be the money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 06:55 pm:

Plus if either has a high ring and worm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 09:12 pm:

Sent you a PM Let's talk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

The solid tires and wheels should definitely be saved! Sadly, whether the rear ends are really worth saving depends upon gear ratio and condition. Personally, I think they should be saved, but realistically, they are not worth a lot of money unless the gears are 5 to 1 and good. Most likely, the solid tire rear end will be 7 to 1. Nearly all of those were originally, so unless the wheels were changed at some later time. Too many people won't let someone save something they have unless ransom dollars are paid for it. They would rather take $50 for scrap than $100 from an individual with a minor need for something. At least that is the way the wrecking yard near me is. I quit asking them about anything in their junk pile a decade ago.
I do hope you can save hose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 03:08 am:

Bearings, brake shoes and other parts. How much can you get them for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 04:15 am:

Hyatt bearings - if useable, well worth saving alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 08:56 am:

As Scott (above) mentioned: save the brake shoes. No One reproduces them and if you need one the can be Very hard to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Staricka on Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

Definitely worth saving, As mentioned good Wheels, brake shoes, brake drums, potentially good bearings and gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

And brake rods.
Did ya get a chance to pick them up yet Doug? Or at least keep them safe until you get there? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 09:55 pm:

I stopped by and saved 'em! I have an interested party who contacted me through the forum. Glad I could contribute to the saving of a TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

Doug,

Good on you! Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 10:48 pm:

Thanks Bill! Makes me feel good I could help the community. I got my '22 T Touring about 15 years ago as a pile of rust, and this forum helped me take it from Rust to Running. I haven't been active on the forum for a while but still lurk every now and again. Gives me a warm and fuzzy. And a sudden desire to tear apart a Model TT Read End to see how they work! (although I won't :-) )
Model T BeforeModel T Before

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 11:39 pm:

Yessss! Glad you got 'em Doug. :-)
I could be known as a lurker lately too. Involved in OT things like loud babbling, 1000 rpm, 4 cylinder engines right now so worry not.
You're here when it was important and these are important saves. :-)
Did you get the pair of steel wheels on the rear, rear axle in your pics?
In a fit of madness ;-), I thought the Amish community or the tinkerers/builders/artists might be very interested in those wheels...
Really nice before and after pics of your Touring. A handsome little bugger both ways!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 05:47 am:

Worth picking up... makes a good excuse to own a TT as well...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 05:58 am:

That one with the steel wheels is an early one with the bead on the housings where the axle tube fits. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 02:32 am:

By gum Dave! How many times did you have to hit the "enlarge" button on your computer? Lotsa on mine.
Yep, there's the lips! Odd ball axle. Early.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

Actually Duey, I just happened to see it while looking at it the first time, which is extremely rare for me. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Monday, October 15, 2018 - 02:34 am:

Dave and Duey, I didn't notice that at first. I actually have one and wondered when those beads were used. If you're saying their early now I know. I'm going to look closer at it tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, October 15, 2018 - 09:28 am:

Scott,
There's a difference in the innards too. Although I doubt the change occurred at the same time as the deletion of the clam shell beads, the earlier TT rear ends had a pinion shaft and two pinion gears. The later ones had a pinon spider and four pinion gears.

When you look them over again, take a look at the earlier unit (the one with the clam shell beads) and see if there's a number stamped on each clamshell half at the top rear surface. Mine has 6315 stamped there but I've never found another with a similar stamping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

I met a new Ford Model T friend today because of this Forum! I had posted that I came across some TT rear ends I had no interest in, but that I could grab em to be saved from the local scrap dealer if anyone was interested. Well, this forum provided the opportunity for me and Tom to become friends, even though we lived 3-4 hours away from each other. Met a very nice gentleman today, glad that happened. He was able to come to my house to pick up the TT Rear ends, and we talked for about a half hour like we knew each other from High school, all because of this forum!

Trailer full of TT Stuff

New Friend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

right on Doug and Tom, very cool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 11:04 pm:

Glad you saved them and found them a home. The people on the forum I have met are great people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 11:15 pm:

Cool they were spared the crushers. Maybe they will see some use again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration