What year is this head?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What year is this head?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 05:47 pm:

Picked this head up recently. No ďmade in USAĒ and casting date in the rear rather than around the center bolt hole. What year is it? Iím thinking 1910-1911 or 12? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

Is it a low style, can't tell from that angle ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 06:20 pm:

Yes itís a low head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 06:36 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

Alex,

Don't you know that the high heads have more water and lower compression for less heat production and better cooling. I can send you a nice high head in an "upgrade" swap for that useless old unidentified year low head. Please P.M. me your address for the swap, I'll pay the shipping!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 10:27 pm:

Terry,

Thanks for the offer! But Iím not sure I want to sell at the moment. Iíd still very much like to know what year(s) this head is correct for? Would it be correct for 1910 or 1911?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 10:40 pm:

Alex, I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.
Low heads were used until 15-16?
If the ear has not been welded at the water outlet, it's a keeper.
It may be a newer reproduction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 11:37 pm:

Alex.
First, the head casting date was only month and day, no year.
The photo I have posted are all low heads from Canadian engines, mid teens, 2 have Ford and the casting pegs and bosses like yours. So yours could be early USA or any time through Canadian production. Low heads changed in mid 1917 to high.
Very early teen heads if you look inside the outlet hole, had no casting support pole about 4"s in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, October 12, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

My best guess wood be 1912.
The 1911 has the date above the Ford script.
The 1913 had square casting bosses with with "made in USA"
No made in USA and casting date in the rear makes me think 1912.
: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 05:51 am:

Do you think itís usable on a closed valve 1911 engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 07:01 am:

It will fit any Model T. Good find! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 07:05 am:

Alex, the Ford script is to large for a USA early head, it is a Canadian one, you can tell from the Ford size and the round casting chablits for holding the core in place when pouring. Sorry if you was hoping for some thing different. Just saw one at hershey on a 14 engine that came from Canada.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 07:22 am:

Joe, I think it is a US made head. It doesnít have the rib on the inside of the water outlet as many people have asked by pm. Most think itís a 1912 American head before made in USA began being cast on them. Very similar to the Canadian heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 07:24 am:

I was also told it came off of a 1912 engine that was parted out. I was just fishing to see if it was passable on a 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 08:58 am:

Alex it looks like a 12, the one your looking for has the Ford script like this.

(Message edited by Jtt3 on October 13, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 10:39 am:

John that looks the same. Also no casting date on the center bolt hole on that head either that you have pictured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

My 14 Canadian has the exact same head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 03:14 pm:

Just listed for sale in classifieds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, October 14, 2018 - 10:59 am:

Alex look again there is no flare on the F going over the other letters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, October 14, 2018 - 11:13 am:

Yeah, the top of the F goes to the left instead of right.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration