Early 5 Ball

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Early 5 Ball
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 10:22 am:

Was the early style Kingston 5 ball carb reproduced? This has vertical air inlet tube.
Thx,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 11:06 am:

I do not know for sure, but I would bet E Brown made some. He made a lot of the early brass carbs. I have one of his last Holley 4500. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 12:14 pm:

The 1909 Five ball Kingston had the 45 degree inlet and the 1910 the vertical inlet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 10:48 pm:

Tony I thought it was the other way around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 11:55 pm:

The 09 parts book shows vertical.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins So Cal on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 12:47 am:

1909 and part of 10 used the 90 degree inlet, then the 45 degree.
Ernie Brown of Antlers, OK reproduced both styles of the 5 ball. Someone in the upper mid west, possibly Michigan also reproduced the 5 ball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 09:30 am:

Kim: Thanks for the info about Ernie. I was sure he did make them. I would bet now someone has one on a car and does not know it is a reproduction. The only to tell one of Ernie's carbs from a old 5 ball, is to open it up. He was one of the best. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins So Cal on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 10:47 am:

Dan, Ernie was the best, he was the bench mark. I'm sure your right about his carbs, there are happy carb owners out there who don't even know why! Ernie made both 5 balls, the 1910 Holley, 1911 Holley and most of the parts to make the 1912. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 10:52 am:

Thanks gentlemen. I was aware that Ernie Brown had built some of these, but had also heard from others that this carburetor was repro'd back in the 1960's, and possibly even earlier. I'd love to have one for my project, but understood this was not one the better carb performers. Any comments/insight appreciated.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 11:38 am:

I've run 5 balls and the 1911 Holley. Both were good performers. With the 5 ball, float height is critical and they are very sensitive to the turn of the mixture needle. But the carbs run very well when dialed in. The 11 Holley ran at least as good, even better at low rpm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

Any photos of the repro'd carbs to post?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 01:45 am:

I was wrong, what else is new?
The 90 angle is 1909 and the 45 degree the 1910
This is my 1909:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration