Halogen Light Bulbs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Halogen Light Bulbs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

Now that itís getting dark earlier Iím driving with the lights on as I drive home from work. My lights are ok with the new reflectors and the reproduction 50/50 tungsten bulbs, but Iím looking for a little more from the head lights and the accessory brake light on my T.

So .. today I ordered the halogen headlight and tail light bulbs from Langs. Anxious to give them a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 02:16 pm:

Mark, did you see the earlier post about the LED brake and tail light from Craig Vechorik at Bench Mark Works?

I bought one of these and WOW this light that was made for replacement vintage BMW cycles is really powerful. I fit it inside my brass tail light without modification nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 02:29 pm:

Have seen posts about the LEDs but have not seen anything that is a comparison between halogen and LEDs or anything recent about halogens. I have ordered the halogens though. The description suggests they are much brighter than the tungsten and are a replacement bayonet based bulb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 04:34 pm:

And the search for more Lumens continuous .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

My reflectors were bad so I put a set of Hella driving lights inside my front gas lamps. You can't see them inside because I had installed some More-Lite original after market glass lenses. I don't think those magnifying bubbles and shapes actually make any more light but they look pretty cool and disguise the modern lights inside.

Those Hellas are sure bright but very power hungry for my non generator car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 06:39 pm:

I should have the LED bulbs I ordered next week.
The best thing about LED is they draw considerably less amps.
And I got 4 bulbs (2 H/L and 2 tail) for $25 shipped !
LEDlight.com
Also, they're AC/DC 6V-30V, should work with a mag.
Might be too cold to try them out though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

So Dave ... Iím asking about halogen bulbs. Donít like the look of the multiple bulb LEDs. Have you experience with halogen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

I have halogen headlamps and brake lights. Tails are standard 6cp. With 25 watt 6 volt halogen lamps up front, I have lights as bright as any traditional sealed beam. When the halogen brake light is energized there's no doubt I'm braking. The 6 cp tail light bulbs are plenty adequate for their function. The down side is a standard generator will not keep up with them. However, an alternator does. I have a newer wiring harness, good switch, and clean connections all the way around. I wouldn't run this set-up with suspect wiring or switches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

Mark, no experience with halogen...not in a T.
Haven't got my LEDs yet either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

I would recommend using a small horn relay or transistor switch to control power to the Halogen lights. Ford light switches were made to handle two 21-3 Cp headlight bulbs and a small 3cp tail light bulb which draw maybe a third of what the halogen lights draw. Having had my share of light switch problems I would not want to risk overloading the Light / ignition switch. and with the Halogen bulbs You only have high beams unless You want to rig a voltage reducer for low beam. If Your car is 12 volt there is less stress on the light switch since the current is about half of what current draw would be for the same wattage bulb using six volts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 06:09 am:

Yikes. Sounds like I should have done more homework on this. Thinking I should send them back to Langs as soon as they arrive and settle with what I have .. or consider the LEDs. I donít want my wiring to suffer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 12:24 am:

Mark! I would keep Halogens for the Headlights which is where the multiple Leds effect and color variation of LED bulbs are most apparent. My concern is about the switch not the wiring if new or in good condition. a lot of model Ts are using Halogens bulbs with no apparent problems.using Leds bulbs for tail,stop & turn signals would reduce total current draw even farther. Use of Halogens just for the headlights should be OK and wiring should handle it OK.using a relay or transistor to switch lights on and off will take additional load off the switch. which is a good idea especially if Using a reproduction switch of questionable quality and running on magneto when the lights are on would reduce electrical system load to the point where a six volt generator should be able to keep up ? " My two cents worth maybe less "
Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 01:29 am:

Why not clamp some cheapie bicycle headlamps on the Ford headlamp stems?

https://www.harborfreight.com/bikepro-led-headlight-98397.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 10:44 pm:

I just installed two halogen bulbs from Langs and they are much better than the originals that were there. My concern now is using them with my John Regan 6 volt voltage regulator that I really love and don't want to damage. The new bulbs appear to draw a little more than the originals, maybe 4-5 amps. I don't do much night driving but want to see and be seen when I do. Any advice? Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

I received the halogen bulbs today and installed them on my slow / stop light and the difference was amazing compared to the 21 cp tungsten. Much better and safer for my stop light in the day time. Havenít installed the headlight bulbs yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 06:10 am:

I wouldn't worry about the Fun Projects voltage regulator. Before I switched to an alternator, I had a generator with a Fun Projects regulator on it. Had the third brush set to allow the genny to put out 10 Amps maximum. No issues, except that with the headlights on there was a continuous amp draw from the battery. The alternator keeps up with the demand,but without the extra amp draw the generator did just fine keeping the battery topped off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 10:39 am:

Thanks Kevin: My ammeter shows about a 5 amp discharge with the headlights on, but I'm not driving all night so should be fine. Thanks again : Bruce

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration