OT. Reminder for veterans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT. Reminder for veterans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

Anyone who is a military veteran and has an identity card to prove it, don’t forget to ask any business you frequent, if they offer veteran’s discounts. Many of them do, but you won't get It unless you ask. I get a 10% discount from restaurants like Sonny’s, Perkins and Bob Evans and home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowe’s and auto parts stores like Advanced Auto Parts and Auto Zone. There are many more, but you get the idea. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 01:20 pm:

Jim is right! Although it doesn't amount to much on small purchases, a while back my wife and I purchased new kitchen appliances. We waited for what we wanted to be on sale and used my veteran card. The combined results saved us a bundle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 01:33 pm:

I have Veteran on my drivers license, but the home depot store here will not accept it.. they say the discount is for military ID personal only (so active duty I guess) Mine on my drivers license hasn't helped me much..

Just Sayin, Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 01:40 pm:

Home Depot depends on the store / area. I get it in Southern CA all the time, last time was yesterday.

If you register with Lowes on line for it the discount will apply automatically with online orders. You need to either carry your Lowes club card or give them your phone number in the store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 01:42 pm:

At the Ford Piquette Plant veterans get a discount in admission and active duty are free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 01:48 pm:

Steve, do you have your pink discharge lD? I’ve been out for 41 years and am certainly not active duty. My pink discharge lD was lost in 1978 when my wallet was stolen. I use my VA ID.

They might not honor the driver’s license V because proof of military service is not required by the DOT to get the V added to Driver’s licenses, so anyone can claim that status. It might be worth it to look into getting a military picture ID showing you are a veteran, or carry a copy of your DD 214. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

Proof of service IS required in Colorado to get the Veteran endorsement on your license. You will need to present your DD-214 as proof.

I did NOT get a discharge ID card. How does one go about getting a Veteran Card?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

Terry. Do a google or Bing search: “Getting a military veteran ID card” and all kinds of information will appear. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 07:10 pm:

Terry;

Did you get a DD-214? that's the document I had for discharge. In CA that is the form I had to take it to the VA, who completed a form for me to take to the DMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

Jim & Gary,

Thank you for the info. I did get my DD-214 and still have it tucked away. I will take you advice Jim and look it up. In Colorado, you just take your DD-214 with you when you renew your license and you're set. I would like to have a veteran ID card though. Even if it has been 38 years.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 09:21 pm:

I use the Lowes discount all the time. 10% is huge. You can scan in and upload your DD-214...easy peasy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 10:01 am:

Out here in California where taxes are through the roof, you save the tax, and that's it! Every bit helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon A. Clayton Sr. on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 11:06 am:

I receive a 10% discount at the Lowe's in Springfield, Mo. but you have to ask and it is
registered and then is automatic after that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F Stephens-Marcle Hendersonville,NC on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 02:31 pm:

I was unaware of this perk for nearly 30 years, now I ask all the time, you would be surprised at the variety of places that offer a 5 or 10 % discount....by the way, not just military vets , some offer what they call a "public service" discount , this includes POLICE AND FIREFIGHTERS !!… after all , they too put their lives on the line in the greater service to us all. The " Thank you for your service " comments feel pretty good to... I think most here will agree , we as a society would cease to be , if it were not for the sacrifice of a very small minority of us who are willing to serve. THANK YOU ONE AND ALL Respectfully John S-M SSG USAR retired

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

I have a VA card that states "SERVICE CONNECTED" I have used it for free local bus rides. I have not tried for discounts at Home Depot or Manards. I do have my DD 214.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

I served from 1950 to 1953 in the regular army active duty as a company clerk and to 1956 in the army reserves. The GI Bill paid for three degrees From the U of MN. I have always been proud of my service to my country in time of need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

I hesitate to ask for a discount anywhere. I did not serve to get a discount. It is great and I appreciate it and some stores will ask me if I'm a vet. but It just feels odd asking for it. When I served there were no discounts or freebies we were just doing our job. Although I have to say I am enjoying the senior coffee at McDonalds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 08:55 am:

I always get my vets discount at Lowes and that's why they are my prefered stop. Home Depot doesn't have a consistent policy and Needs to get it together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

I rarely ask for the discount. I served for 20 years and feel I earned my retirement check but I retired healthy of mind and body and feel most fortunate compared to many of my compatriots. All in all, my years in the military were good years so I don't feel a need to try for every extra nickle and dime. Those who's service was more taxing than mine deserve every benefit offered.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration