OT. Or almost OT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT. Or almost OT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

What would you do if you win the billion $ tonight?

My answer - after taking the cash option and paying taxes I would have a measly $333 million left to pay bills, buy a home on the seacoast, build a shop for my new vehicle collection, and get a couple bottles of good wine.

I would also consider donating a few $ to the MTFCoA museum, the Shriners hospital, and a truly conservative candidate.

I would not send any money to the DNC, the ACLU, or Isis.
You can add the Clinton Foundation and Elizabeth Warren to the list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 11:52 pm:

Fred, haven't you learned by now that speaking about politics is strictly verboten here!! I'll post this so we can both be in trouble. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 12:21 am:

I will not win the billion because I don't throw away money on lotteries. If I were so inclined I could stay home and flush dollar bills down the toilet and get the same results without having to make a trip to town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 01:22 am:

-Steve-
You live in the country, which means you likely have either a septic or holding tank... Even if connected to municipal lines, those dollar bills flushed down are not biodegradable!

"Happy T-ing!" (Just fix it, and make it work...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 01:30 am:

Your odds of winning the lottery are about the same whether or not you buy a ticket!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 01:18 pm:

...and yet people still win it. About a year ago the guy who swept the hangar at work walked in one morning, said he won two million dollars the night before, and walked right out again.

Iíll sometimes pay my idiot tax when buying gas if the winnings are maxed out but itís rare for those two things to happen on the same day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

I can dream without buying the tickets also. If I played and won I would buy some nice acreages for touring and host old car tours there. I would probably buy some nicer cars than I have also.
As it is I have had more old car fun than one guy deserves.
Best of luck to all of you.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 01:33 pm:

I would buy new windshield wiper refills for my pickup truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, NL on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

Mr Jelf those bills make for lousy wiping, i'd buy myself some toilet paper with it ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 04:54 pm:

If I won, I would buy my lunch at the nice restaurant near my store. I bring one from home now. Other than that, I would buy a Model K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garland E Pobletts; Naples Fl on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

When I win I will build four shops. A blacksmith shop, a woodworking shop, an automotive shop, and a shop to store all the stuff I make/restore in them. Man's gotta have a dream

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 06:01 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 06:01 pm:

Steve, that reminds me of an old joke that I heard 40 years ago about a fellow who had been told that if he ever had to "GO" and didn't have toilet paper he could either use one of his socks or a dollar. Turns out he had to go and rejoined his party with "stuff" all over his hands. When asked about it he replied "You try wiping your backend sometime with three quarters, two dimes, and a nickle and you will understand.
Forgive me all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 06:13 pm:

My friend inherited 2 million from his father. as well as stocks paying dividends of 50k a year. He had no idea his father had these assets after he willed him everything. He quit his job and has now retired at 54. Windfalls are a magical thing. So i still buy a ticket just for the fun of it, win or lose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 06:20 pm:

Wow Michael P. you dream big!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 06:22 pm:

If I had money I'd go to town,
Get dressed up and I'd go walkin' around,
And I'd look at everything that they got down there,
Maybe find me a barber, let him cut my hair.

Then I'd buy a big ol' watch and chain,
I'd have the jeweler engrave my name,
And I'd hang it on my vest for everyone to see,
Wouldn't be nobody lookin' sharp as me.

Then I'd buy me a great big meal,
Some kinda Eye-talian dish with veal,
And I'd top it off with a drink or two,
If I had money that's probably what I'd do.

I'd find a bar at the edge of town,
And I'd buy a beer and I'd drink it down,
And I'd look around to see if there was anybody there I knew,
See this has all happened a time or two.

And there'd probably be a woman there,
She'd have real tight clothes and real shiny hair,
And I'd ask her to dance and I'd swing her around,
Then her husband would come and knock me down.

Then there'd probably be a big ol' fight,
And I'd wind up goin' to jail that night,
And have to pay a big ol' fine before I got through,
If I had money that's exactly what I'd do.

So I am broke but it's just as well,
'Cause when I get money everything goes to hell,
And I wind up in trouble - black and blue,
Think I'm probably better off - don't you ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid Central WI on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 06:58 pm:

You canít win if you donít buy one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

Love that one Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

You can't win if you DO buy one.

I figure it is a $2 fantasy. Like schrodinger's cat I have not lost nor won until I check the winning numbers. So I don't check for a month or more so that I can keep the fantasy going.

I would get the one time payoff, about $900,000,000. I would give a big chunk to my kids. First I would hire a good lawyer and change my name after claiming the money. Then new phone number and email address and physical address.

A good place to put the rest of the money would be in commercial realestate. That would provide a good steady income stream. Last a nice mountain house with a 10-car garage and shop and look for some cars to fill it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

Doug K., Well I already bought new tires last month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

Fantastic Poem Rich. Sounds a little like Kid Shelleen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

I have convictions that keep me from any form of gambling, including lotteries or buying 50/50 raffle tickets.
To each his own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 09:48 pm:

I would buy myself some friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 01:14 am:

Bob,
I'll volunteer to be one of those friends!
A farmer was asked what he was going to to do with his lottery winnings. He thought a while, then finally said, "Well, guess I'll keep farmin' 'till the money runs out!"

What would I do?? Hmm, first, NOT go home--too many folks casin' the joint trying to figure out how to get the money! I'd set up some endowments for causes I believe in (restoring the State Theatre, for one). As big as the latest lottery is, I probably could buy the Delta Queen steamboat as a private riverboat and keep it running at least the rest of my life. OH, and I'd get my haircut more often! :-)
But, in reality this is sort of wasting our days dreaming, isn't it? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 01:26 am:

$2 gets me a billion.

Endowment for the museum.
Round the clock security for my house.
Buy that Model K that Rob and Kim are selling, and I wonder if the mechanic comes with the deal?
Pay for the 2019 Annual tour so it does not cost any attendees a penny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 01:36 am:

I think it's OK to dream about the lotto's. I could use some more $$$.
I'd prolly just buy good wiper blades for my 3 running moderns Like Michael too.
Pollytishuns get nothin'. I very quietly echo Fred's notions.
Don't wanna be a spatial inturist tho.
IF it would help keep anyone/everyone from nosing in on what I do/who I am? That's different. I'd help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 02:53 am:

I used to buy a ticket occasionally. I figured it was better for me than an ice cream bar, or potato chips. I haven't bought one for myself in a long time. My mother buys a couple tickets per week, and occasionally one for the BIG numbers drawing. I have bought her's a few times when she didn't feel like going out. I figured that she has earned the right to make that choice. Besides. She says if she wins she will share it with me.
After too many bad years. I have pretty much given up on dreaming. But if I did somehow win a big one? I would start buying good haircuts (David D and Rich's poem both mentioned that). Been cutting my hair myself for nearly ten years now.
And, if somehow the stars did align and I did win big? I almost always know of three or four cars for sale that I would call about within hours! (Right now, the K and a certain Marmon roadster top the list!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 06:02 am:

$2 is a small price to pay and the lottery is a good excuse to ride into town at 20 mph!

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 07:37 am:

I'm not a gambler per se. I never understood risking large sums on things like ball games or dog races or card games. However, i will buy the occasional lottery ticket when the pot gets up high enough for me to hear about it. I buy gas every two days, but never bother to look at the lottery jackpot. It's usually when I hear people talking about it or maybe see it on the news that I say "I think I'll get me a lottery ticket", then I usually forget. This time, i bought a Powerball and a mega millions tuesday morning. And the same again Thursday morning. Didn't get a single number on the first two. Haven't bothered to check the last two.

As for what I'd do if I won, i don't know. I have no desire for a bigger home. Maybe more land. I don't really want to move, but I understand that is usually necessary. I might have a couple more cars. Probably some collector grade guns. Probably give some to some friends. I'd probably keep working because I generally enjoy what I do. Maybe shorten the work week a day or two if they'd let me. If you saw me on the street and didn't know I had won it, you'd probably never know. I'm not the pretentious type. Jeans and Harley Davidson t shirts are my norm. That wouldn't change. Other than work or church, that's what I wear. I own one suit and maybe 5 ties. Dressing up just ain't my scene.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenneth w delong on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 08:21 am:

Myself i would set up trust for our kids and grandkids.Our traviling friends would all get the very best new Ford pick ups.I would buy several sections of land in fly over country away from earthquakes,fires,storm surge,snakes,and most people.I like the Shriners,the Henry Ford,Both clubs,and a few churches. A XR 750 Harly,D-11 Cat dozer,several Henry's and many new pair of Round House Bibbs.I would NOT Give a Cent to those who gave us xxxx p. Bud in flyover country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 08:33 am:

You all know that silly sounding saying of theirs: "Ya gotta be in it to win it "? Well to all you non believers and odds too big guys it happens to be true. Flush your GW's or wipe yer buns with 'em I'm tossing 1 or 2 into the ring. I happen to know 2 big winners is why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 08:45 am:

Funny this. If any of you would have won you would have to pay taxes, and file a tax report on your new income.

Unlike some government leaders. I guess Model T owners are at least honest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 10:12 am:

Money doesn't buy happiness, it can only buy material things.
Spent wisely, it definitely can make life easier.
That being said, I get a ticket occasionally, usually when the pot gets high. Not me, but lots of people throw away much more $$ than the $2 ticket, on Starbucks, smokes, Micky D's...etc. Crap that leaves you nothing to show for it. $2 isn't much for a chance at....$1.6 million now !!
And believe it or not, you have 1-24 chance of winning SOMETHING !!

My first move would be to join the MTFCA and MTFCI...
Then family and close friends would be set...if they were wise.
After a couple donations to some worthy organizations.
I would rebuild my garage and probably build another. Then off to the Harley and Indian dealers !!!
I have no intention of moving, but a winter place in a warmer climate would be nice. Or maybe a layed out motor home.
Definitely would build a speedster. A couple muscle cars are on the list. A real 427 Shelby Cobra is probably my dream car...
Debt payoff and retirement/closing up shop, for sure. Maybe I could work on my own projects for a change ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

Iím with Dave on the real 427 Shelby Cobra and a couple other mussel cars after taking care of my family.

Maybe send $1.00 to every current model T owner.
If they all survive it would only total about $15 million, but would most likely only cost about $1,500.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 07:00 pm:

When the California lottery got started in the '80's my mother-in_law, her sister, my wife, and a few other family ladies were having an "if I win" fantasy discussion at the kitchen table. Houses, cars, and all manner of other things were mentioned. My father-in-law, who had been in the next room and overheard the discussion came in for a cup of coffee. He looked at the ladies and said, "I don't know about all that stuff, but if I win I'm definitely going to buy 4 new recaps for the pickup." It brought down the house. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill's Auto Works Wakeman, Ohio on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

I never really thought about it, because I very rarely play the lottery. I am not sure if it is because I don't need the money or if I really don't care about money.

I do know that I would open the biggest & best shelter for Dogs & Cats. Fully staffed with people who truly care about animals. It would be a "No Kill" shelter & a sanctuary for older animals to spend their later years in comfort & enjoyment.

By the way Fred, I completely agree with who would NOT get a penny of it!

God Bless
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 07:42 pm:

Bill,

Hatís off to you and I commend you for your willingness to help the unfortunate pets!

Henry,

I remember the 80s as a teenager working at tire shops and the tight wads that would come in with a Cadillac and ask for retread tires! Boy, the few retreads that were in stock, the sidewalls were unbelievably hard as rocks as you would mount them on the tire machine. Sometimes I would tear the bead as the machine forced the bead on! Of course, I never said a thing. Thatís what they got for being cheap, is how I felt about it.....

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 12:12 am:

OK, I'm one of those guys who has never bought a lottery ticket. Always thought it was a tax on people who didn't understand statistics.

But if I did. And if I won:

First thing I'd do is take my 2015 Explorer to the best auto mechanic in the world and pay him to rip out all the electronics and put in a mechanical heater control, AM radio with knobs, and a single knob that you pull half way out for parking lights, all the way out for headlights, and twist for instrument lights.

Oh, and I'd have him write an owner's manual that had no more than 10 pages and fully explained everything I needed to know about the car.

Maybe I'd have him leave the back up camera. That's pretty handy as my neck doesn't swivel like it used to.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration