Two Model T questions for the ‘experts’

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Two Model T questions for the ‘experts’
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 10:47 am:

On a recent tour with 91 Model T s I spoke to a long time friend about his 1921 centerdoor. I noticed it had a dome light with the typical switch on the right side ‘B’ pillar. It was restored by another friend of mine who claims he saw an advertisement of the era depicting dome lights on the later centerdoors. I thought domelights only were available on 1924 and later fordoors.
Second question: I restored a ‘14 runabout and used steel top prop nuts (2) of the era with a rim around the perimeter. At the same tour a friend said I should use brass top prop nuts. Of course, we all want more bling bling to polish but were brass top prop nuts used in ‘14? If so, domed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 12:00 pm:

Hi George, According to the MTFCI Judging Guidelines, Seventh Edition, the Top Prop Nuts on '14's were painted black. In my opinion, some of them were plain and some had the rim around the perimeter - I've seen both. On my '14, the top prop nuts are plain steel painted black.

In the Judging Guidelines there is no mention about dome lights on '21 Centerdoor Sedans.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

'pert withstanding please :-) All the early photos and factory photos of '14 open cars show japan black prop nuts.

In the '21 and '22, '23 body parts lists, no listing for dome light on any sedans or coupes.

The first listing for dome light p/n 18902AX and 18902BX, the AX lists for .75 the other for .45, maybe assembly with glass cost more?
That listing is for only the top of the line Fordor in Sept 1 1923 Price List of Body Parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 01:20 pm:

My unmolested '22 Centerdoor does not have a dome light for what that is worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

Thank you, thank you and thank you Keith, Dan and Val. Ya’ll have confirmed my suspicions on both questions! I suggested that the ‘restorer’ of that ‘21 centerdoor might have seen an artist’s depiction and not a factory/dealership picture.

And I shall blissfully leave my black steel prop nuts on my ‘14 runabout. ...:o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

or he may have seen an ad with one installed. There were aftermarket kits. Some were even battery powered, like lantern or D cells.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

I had a ‘22 Centerdoor a decade ago. Had a dome light, which I assumed was a period accessory. It definitely was not a repro item. The car had been restored many years before I got it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenneth w delong on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 08:45 am:

Far from a expert but our 14 has the brass domed prop nuts.I don't know who put them on as we have only owned it 20 years.Over the years i have been told they are wrong but i could care less!! We do have a battery under the rear seat but the car will start on mag.I have lost my helper to collage,work,and his gal so maybe it gets out once or twice a year.If i could afford a period self comencer like a Dayton yes.After i win all that lotto money i might hire a starter/driver.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 10:16 am:

If you have a brass prop nut, it's a reproduction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenneth w delong on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

Reproduction of what? If they never had them how could it be a reproduction of what they never had? I really could care less as they were when i bought the car and will be there till the end.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration