Twisted bendix spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Twisted bendix spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 09:44 am:

I posted a question on a thread back from April about the bendix spring asking what causes one to get warped or twisted. Below is the picture someone posted on that thread.

I just replaced one on my car with this same issue...twisted 90 degrees out.

Someone very kindly offered the notion of buying the service manual which I suppose was offered to the original poster to help him with fixing the spring. I'm guessing he fixed it some months ago. So...

1. I have all the manuals.
2. I know how to replace it.
3. I am simply asking "what causes this to happen?"

Just something they all do in time? Poor starting technique? Some springs are bad? Just curious.

And thanks,

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 10:23 am:

Failure to retard the spark when starting
is the culprit most likely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 10:27 am:

The spring in that picture looks pretty bad. Four things can cause this problem:
1. trying to start in high gear with the brake lever forward. Usually not if it happens occasionally, but if it happens often it could bend the spring.
2. Spark too far advanced causing the engine to kick. This will cause the bendix to bend or break. It could only take one such occurance for the spring to bend.
3. A worn place on the gear which causes the starter to lock up. If the gear consistantly hits a worn place and locks up. It will eventually cause damage to the spring.
4. Using a 12 volt battery with a standard Ford starter which was made to operate at 6 volts. Twelve volts will also cause the damage to be worse in the first two cases.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joss sanderson on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 10:46 am:

The repro springs have significantly lower quality control. Some years ago springs were tested and the steel found in some to not meet the requirements. Presume the same today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 10:54 am:

Thanks!

I did in fact get in a hurry and caused a kick back. The one I just removed was an NOS spring. The one I just put on is a repop from one of the vendors. We will see how it does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 10:55 am:

Do you have documentation to back up your statement ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 11:08 am:

Thanks!

I did in fact get in a hurry and caused a kick back. The one I just removed was an NOS spring. The one I just put on is a repop from one of the vendors. We will see how it does.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration