Brent Mize, The Coil Dr coil performance.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Brent Mize, The Coil Dr coil performance.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 11:07 am:

As a rule I try to not get in the middle of any parts performance debates from any of the suppliers. But this one I just felt needed saying. 7 years ago I had Brent Mize do a set of coils for me for my 19 touring. Once a year I pull them out and just give them a once over with my Strobo Spark tester and just make sure all the contacts are clean. Here in Florida it is just starting to become a time when we can enjoy are cars without dying form heat exhaustion. The humidity stays around 70% most of the year. As you can see in the photo even with all the moist weather we have here in Florida the coils that Brent built for me are still going strong after 7 years. I cant even imagine how many miles Iv put on these coils and as I remember back a few years ago I pulled these coils out to run some of my hit and miss engines and then put them back into the T. Thank you Brent for your amazing craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 11:58 am:

Brent is a real good guy !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 12:47 pm:

Will, a funny thing...you're pulling your cars out while we in the great white north are putting ours away. It goes to show that no place is perfect :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

Today was the first day that the temp was under 90 this season. Felt great to pull the T out and give it a bath and wax. Maybe summer's back is finely broken and the cool winter is just around the corner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

Brent just finished a generator repair seminar at the Model T museum. Great guy for all of us to know

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

I would wonder some of the times how many coils have went through there hands. New engines never run as good with out correctly rebuilt coils so I ask people to bring there coils if they have not been rebuilt. Put them on the old HCCT and show them the difference then listen to there engines perform from a new set to the old, they sell there selves. Thanks for the good work Brent! The apprentice now Master!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, October 21, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

Tim, while not perfect, there are places where a T can be enjoyed year round. We certainly can enjoy year round touring here in South Australia. There would be similar climate areas in California, but they are not blessed with the same relatively uncluttered roads we enjoy.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 03:54 am:

With the cover off the coil box and the engine running, should I see a spark at each coil all the time? The middle two coils spark just about all the time and the outer two just occasionally. I was checking this as I thought there maybe a miss in the engine as it seems to sputter a bit. Certainly when cold and seems to go away when hot. That makes me think itís more of a mixture thing but, itís very awkward to try and lean over to adjust it while sitting in the driverís seat. When I first got the car over a year ago I set the mixture where I thought it best when the engine is hot and left it. Spark plugs all look on the rich side. I have not tried the screwdriver test yet. Perhaps, in the springtime....

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 08:22 am:

Willis, My suggestion would be to start with the ignition system. My question is, Is your coil box still have the original wood inside it, Are all the contacts clean, It the timer in good shape,Are the working as they should? Some of the fixes to start with, Replace the wood inside of the coil box with a Fun Projects modern coil box kit. Sometimes you can get carbon tracks in the old wood sending your spark everywhere but where you want it, It will also help on wet days if you happen to get caught in the rain. Also, I recommend buying one of the coil testing tools. I have the fun projects Strobo Spark and it has never failed me, Its a must to make your coils sing. Its a bit pricey but worth every penny, This comes from FB also, Or you can send your coils to Brent Mize and he will make them new again. The site is> http://www.funprojects.com/. I have found that 85% of the problems is in the ignition system or fuel system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 10:00 am:

I had Ron do two sets of coils eight years ago for my '25. One set is waiting on the shelf, and the other set is in the car. I haven't had the lid off the coil box yet and have driven over 5,500 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 11:43 am:

Will : Thanks for initiating this thread. While bad news travels fast, good news is more taken for granted and sometimes doesn't travel at all. I too have a set of Brent's coils in my '25 and they function perfectly. We in this hobby are a little spoiled by the amazing services provided by several larger operations like Langs, Fun Projects (John Regan), Chaffins,etc., and individuals like Brent Mize, Russ Potter,and Stan Howe,and many others, as well as the valuable technical advice offered by many guys on this site. What a great hobby supported by the best forum ever. Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 06:12 pm:

Brent Mize will forever be my go-to guy for coil rebuilds. Problem is, the brass top coils he rebuilt for me are still going strong after five years and goodness knows how many miles, so I may never need him again. If he keeps this up, he'll put himself out of business, which, if I know Brent -- and I'm glad to say I do -- he wouldn't mind a bit.

His workmanship and customer service are exceptional. And he is one heck of a great guy, as is his wife -- well, she's not a guy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 07:02 pm:

I could not agree more with Bruce we are
very lucky to have such great support. This is exactly what keeps me in the T part of the the collector car hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 07:06 am:

Brent is one of the best people you will ever meet and a true blue craftsman. I met Brent years back when he was just starting out with the Coil Doctor. Nice to see a person of his caliber grow into success. BIG KUDOS BRENT, proud of you!

Your Tin Friend Down Yonder,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 09:35 am:

I too have to chime in with my support of Brent's work. I have his coils in all of my cars and will as long as he keeps working on them. The only issue I ever had was resolved overnight and at no charge, even though I was not certain that Brent had anything to do with the problem. I asked him for some advice and instead he replaced the coil, no questions asked. That's excellent service.

Many thanks Brent!

Eric

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration