***1919-1925 Flywheel and Transmission Assemblies***

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: ***1919-1925 Flywheel and Transmission Assemblies***
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martynn Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 11:13 pm:

1919-1925 Flywheel Assembly

The transmission shaft is only shown here because I didn't have enough room on all drawings subsequent to this one...so consider it reference only.

1919-1925 Flywheel-Trans mission Assembly

1919-1925 Transmission-Clutch Assembly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, October 22, 2018 - 11:19 pm:

Amazing detail! These just get better and better.
Thanks for these treats.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 03:44 am:

Excellent work again Martyyn. Frank picked up on the extra lugs in the brake drum. These were introduced some time before the wide brake drum on the 26-7 models, but I don't think it was as early as 1919. Others may be able to help with the changeover. It is a significant change, involving six extra lugs as shown, removable shoes on the lugs, and a smaller diameter driven plate which goes inside the drum. At the same time the hexagonal clutch disc were introduced. Perhaps there is a need for two separate drawings for the period.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 03:50 am:

Martyyn, I missed mentioning that the triple gears changed from three separate gears riveted together to a one piece gear some time in the 19-25 time frame. Don't know if you need/want to go into that detail. I find that the riveted gears with their wider teeth wear much less than the one piece ones, and I use them as my first preference in rebuilds.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martynn Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 06:54 am:

Removeable lug shoes didn't come till late 1925, the bolt holes were separate from the lugs which was different from 1914-1918...in 1919, they started with the 6 sided clutch large discs and the small discs were still round.

My engine is a 24 and its triple gears are three riveted gears like the ones in my drawings...that change you mentioned I think comes late in 1925, which is really 1926 model year, but I don't think I changed that yet for 26 though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martynn Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 07:03 am:

I didn't bother to show the rivets because I thought it cluttered up the gears and made it hard to see the one tooth indicator.

But if you guys think that they need to be shown, let me know and I'll put them in. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 08:04 am:

Awesome! The only thing missing is the expandable plug in the drive plate. Can't really be shown but maybe annotated somehow. Please don't take this as criticism as all of your assembly picture are great. I think some of these printed poster size would be good for the museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 09:24 am:

Martynn

The triple gears were modified to one piece, no riveted 3 parts in Feb 1920.

And the brake drum is different for the pre '26, the lugs for the discs are the same lug for the bolts, note the number of lugs... The Improved Car Aug, 1925 large brake drum has separate lugs for the bolts and for the discs. However, in June 1925 for a couple of months was made a small brake drum with lugs modified for 'shoes', but those are a bit rare to find.

Note change date 1920 on the Ford print, the two holes are centering holes for these single piece gears machined.

Here is that rare June 1925 small drum with lugs that have 'shoes' You can't see the lugs, but can see the unique drive plate with special slotted bolts too, the drive plate has oval holes to align with that small brake drum with lugs.

Here is the '26-'27 large drum with 12 lugs, not 6 like the small brake drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

Martynn, Dan's first photo shows the usual six lugs with threaded holes for the clutch discs. Note, no extra lugs between them.

Dan, I was surprised to see the introduction to one piece triple gears was made as early as 1920. On our Canadian sourced cars, the vast majority of triple gears I have found have been the riveted type, so I presumed the introduction of one piece gears was later than that. Perhaps Canadian production lagged somewhat behind the US.

Re the interim narrow brake drum with extra lugs to take removeable shoes, I was not aware of the slotted holes to allow the driven plate to fit the drum. To fit an earlier driven plate inside the newer drum, it would have to have the diameter turned down to fit inside the drum and the mounting holes would have to be elongated to fit the smaller PCD of the late drum. Otherwise a 26-7 driven plate can be substituted.

I was interested in your photo of the 25 transmission. The driven plate appears to be sitting proud of the brake drum edge, as though it is not entirely seated inside the drum. Is there any chance that an earlier driven plate has been adapted to that trans? That would also explain the elongated holes if that is the one to which you referred. Otherwise, it would seem the factory was doing some fiddling before settling on a permanent solution.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martynn Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

Gary the plug inside the drive plate is on the drive plate assembly drawing, which I posted about a year ago. I don't know about you, but I have trouble finding things on this site, so here it is again. :-)

1916-1925 Clutch Drive Plate Assembly, Rev. 1-B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 01:34 pm:

Love this clutch driveplate drawing. Thanks, Martynn.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration