Help choosing a good set of 21" tires for less than $125 each.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Help choosing a good set of 21" tires for less than $125 each.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Lock on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 10:46 am:

My luck finally ran out last weekend. I have 5 different brands and the one with the most tread blew out. My spare is a 4 ply and is so worn down that you can see all 4 plys. The tires were all at least 50 years old and were probably past their prime when they were installed on my rims by the ridiculously penny pinching old Finlander that I purchased the car from.

Since I am not exactly well off and need to replace more than just tires (over the next 4 years) to get the car in good shape, I cannot afford to spend a lot on a set of 5 tires, but I want a good set that will not separate or wear out prematurely.
So I need your help.

What low budget tires are the best from your experiences?
What can be reused from my current rims? Tubes, liners

I drive a lot of gravel roads and ATV trails.

It is for a 1927 Touring with 21 inch clincher rims and wood wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 11:16 am:

Wit split rims you would have flaps in there that can be reused. The tube that blew may or may not be repairable, but the others should work just fine. I'm very pleased with my Excelsior brand 21x4.50 tires, but there are even cheaper choices out there that I can't tell anything about, maybe they're OK too?

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/brands/excelsior-vintage-tires/450-475-21-excels ior-blackwall-tire.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 11:39 am:

Having decent tires is probably one of the most important safety features to have on your Model T.
There was a huge debate on this forum years ago as to which was more dangerous on the Model T set up compared to a more modern auto. A blow out on a front tire or a rear tire? Both side were passionate about their answers and I was wrong in my assumptions on the subject! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Under $100 plus shipping;
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_a/model-a-ford-tire-4-50-x-21-blackwall -universal-brand.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid _search_google_pla&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp28-22272-1&sc_intid=28-22272-1&gclid=Cj0K CQjwjbveBRDVARIsAKxH7vnSvQQWwN-1jrfOvdkJLUFcWONYoZEd5Fjr0GhOdI7y-FLak3t-jWcaAtJ6 EALw_wcB

Check Ebay, sometimes they show tires with free shipping. Next google 21 4.50 tires. While that size is a little wider, they will work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 11:53 am:

A few months back someone posted how to get a great deal with free shipping from Summit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 11:56 am:

Summit still lists them with free shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenneth w delong on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 12:27 pm:

About 10 years ago i bought a set of USA made Firestones but i don't remember the cost? Where are the cheap tires made?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 01:47 pm:

"Economy" tires like above are made overseas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 02:33 pm:

Winter is coming...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OG7N70/ref=psdc_353655011_t1_B01K2QLISE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 03:33 pm:

I bought the summit racing tires on eBay and have them on my depot hack. I have about 100 miles on them and am happy with them. They don't seem to pick up and throw stones much if any, handle as well as can be expected. Mine are on wire wheels, so no flaps. Tread is very close to some of the older patterns. Mark me as well satisfied!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Lock on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 04:07 pm:

Are Model A 21 inch tires compatible with the model T 21 inch clincher rims?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

I have had a set of BF Goodrich on my 26 Touring since 2004. I drive the car a LOT and only had my first problem (bad tube) this year. I would recommend them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenneth w delong on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 04:20 pm:

Where do you find 21" model T clincher rims?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 04:38 pm:

Jason, you do not have clincher rims, you have split rims. You should be using 4.40-4.50 x 21 or 4.75 x 21 tires. Yes, some model A wheels use 4.50x21 or 4.75x21.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 04:42 pm:

Looking a Jason's picture it appears that he has 21" demountables not clincher. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 04:45 pm:

Sorry, Jeff beat me to it. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Lock on Tuesday, October 23, 2018 - 05:12 pm:

I've narrowed it down to 2 choices:

The "universal tire Black" is available at summit, Macs and Lang's all at the same $99 price.
I wish Lang's could match Summits free shipping.

I really like the Recreation of 1920's "Olympic" tread for the same price. Has anybody had any bad luck with them?

The only measurable difference between these two that I see that may be a determining factor is the .25" width difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 07:16 am:

$99 dollars? So whats going on with 30 x 3 1/2?
I looked in all the usual venders wow I can buy
11-00-20 truck tires for that price.. A shame I had
all new tires, my youngest boy wore them down to canvas...he did it - so his turn, he has a job and I
do not. The kicker is, these two kids of mine have a fleet of Model A,s but those have new tires, but when it comes to the old man? ya you got it. sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 01:25 pm:

I got a 10% off coupon on anything from eBay today. Use word "pickupten" in the coupon section at check out to save ten percent on the summit racing 4.50-21 tires if that's what you want. $40-50 savings! It's today only! Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Lock on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 04:32 pm:

I'm also going to re paint my rims.
Whats the best paint color to match the factory paint for the rims?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 04:49 pm:

I used Rustoleum bright silver on some Harley parts, sprocket a control rods.
Looks very close to Cadmium, IMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 06:09 pm:

Rustoleum bright silver worked well on my rims.

I don't know if this would work but 21-inch motorcycle tires are about half price of the automotive tires. You would need to find a friend with a motorcycle with 21-inch tires to compare to what you are using. Motorcycle tires are designed for cornering by leaning so they are more rounded than automotive tires. You could have the only Model T with knobbies. Great for off-road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

Jason, look to see if you have a Firestone distributor in your area. I have one near me, and have bought a few items from their city desk. The prices has always been much better than I have found in any store. With that said, I have not bought a T tire from them.

I know the shop by me does not have them in stock, but said they can get them.

Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 01:52 am:

Ford recommended silver paint for touch up. I used the cold galvanized paint. Seems to have held up pretty good for over 10 years. They have more of a gray color to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 09:13 am:

I ordered mine from Summit, free shipping. $396.00 for the set. On my T split rims I have on my 1910 REO truck. They have been installed for 2 years, no issues. Use your old tubes if possible. My new Coker tubes I used have to be topped off about every 90 days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 09:25 am:

DURO also makes a tire with a tread pattern some guys would like. I put these on my CDO. 4 years no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 09:53 am:

Original rims were not painted. They were not cad plated. They were galvanized (zinc plated) like this.

I believe the paint closest to this would be Oklahoma chrome (aluminum paint).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

The cold galvanized paint matches aged galvanized metal color very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 02:26 am:

On our Canadian sourced rims, some were hot dip galvanised. Most were electro plated zinc, the difference being the finer finish on electro plating, and a lower life span of that finish.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 07:28 am:

I just had my rims powder coated at $20 each and they look great. Wish I knew how to post a picture,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 10:14 am:

Get some kid to teach you how. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Cibolo, Texas on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

I've never seen a 21" clincher rim; only straight sided. On the other hand, 30x3 1/2" tires were made in clinchers (for Model T's, and straight sided for use in cars overseas.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration