Here's a tough part to make, well, not really, okay, yeah.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Here's a tough part to make, well, not really, okay, yeah.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

Here's a real pain in the ass part to make. Float linkage for the fairly rare Holley H-1 carburetor used in 1911-1912 (roughly) on model T Fords. The old one broke trying to remove the threaded cap. Zinc die-cast parts like this often suffer from inter-granular corrosion of the alloy. Caused by using powdered lead as a mold release agent when parts were removed from the injection die. Pot metal parts can be as fragile as bone china. I glued it back together hoping to use it to do a "lost wax" investment casting, but then I thought, screw it, and machined one out of solid aluminum.Works perfectly. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 07:39 pm:

Looks perfect !
I wonder if the lighter weight will be a factor.
Maybe raise the level a fuzz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

The new part is actually lighter than the old one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Great job!!! :-)

Lang's list that part under new parts.
https://www.modeltford.com/item/4555.aspx
They also have the elbow but it does not come with fittings;
https://www.modeltford.com/item/4572.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 08:02 pm:

Darren,

Super good work.
You should post this Jewell on the machinist forums.

Be_Zero_Be

You never used to be older.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

Very nice.
Wasn't it fun? Really?
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 08:50 pm:

Thanks guys! I do like it when a project challenges me :-) Never thought of looking to see if the vendor's carried this one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

Well, yeah, you might have bought the part, Darren. But what you did is a magnificent achievement. That's what life is all about. I have a special place in my heart for nifty pieces I've fabricated and then assembled such that nobody else even knows it's there or how difficult it was to make. That's satisfaction.

A question for you: Did you hog the part out of a single block of material. Or is it a welded assembly ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 12:07 am:

Wonderful piece!
I broke the float arm on an IH gas start Diesel but it certainly wasn't this dainty and beautiful!
Perhaps one may have needed to work with a repro to get it "right there"? Rich is correct too. Fun and the "Yeah, I did that."
Fantastic work! Wow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 04:42 am:

I don't know. I have seen pot metal pieces that were far more fragile than any bone china I have ever seen (unless of course the bone china has already been dropped!). Beautiful workmanship making that piece!
I find it interesting how some people make parts they need. How they go with their personal strengths and the tools they have available. Machined out of a piece of aluminum is gorgeous! Since I don't have access to such machining equipment. I immediately see how to hand make about four smaller bits and braze them together. I have made many things that way. For brazing's sake, as well as strength, I would have had to make it mostly out of steel. And likely made pieces a bit thinner to compensate for the weight.
What I would have made would have worked fine. But it never would have been anywhere near as nice looking as yours!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 08:53 am:

Thank guys! It is made in two pieces. The bottom part has a rectangular hole to accept the upper piece. The very bottom is smaller rectangularly so thereís a shoulder. Bottom piece is carefully riveted on so itís very stable. Iíve also cheated with a very tiny o ring for a good seal on the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 09:06 am:

Amazing work! I am envious of your skill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley Atlanta TX on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 09:26 am:

Tell us about the process. Was this done on a CNC?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 10:12 am:

I used my Bridgeport style mill with a digital readout and my lathe. Iíll try to post some pics later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bird on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

Darren,
How is the 1912 Stewart drive coming along?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 02:05 pm:

Waiting for castings at the moment.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 02:08 pm:

Waiting for castings. If you want a set of castings they are $100 for the pair unmachined. All the castings I have asked for are spoken for, pm me if interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 02:09 pm:

At this point I canít offer the gears, just the castings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 02:54 pm:

Mills? Lathes? Haha I'd have been there for weeks with a hacksaw & file... and it wouldn't look nearly as nice.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration