Old rebuilt short block, reclean and prep.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old rebuilt short block, reclean and prep.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

I have a rebuilt 26 short block that was rebuilt 10-15 years ago and stored in a craight., I need to clean it up a bit, paint it and grease it with something to store it for another year before starting.

What should I use to clean it like the cylinders etc, to make sure they are clean and the crank spins free like it should. Then what should I sue to grease or oil it again. I have some assembling lube I bought from Lang’s for my other engine I could use.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 11:06 pm:

Travis: I hope someone might have some ELBOWGREASE, BUT THE STUFF IS A BIT SCARCE.
Just kidding I squrited some 20 weight kin the cylinders and put the head on a that was all, I did have it in the frame and would go by it and turn it once in a while.I stayed free till I was ready to fire it. Had a bit of smoke from the oi in the cylinders but that only lasted a very short time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 06:48 am:

I use kerosene and or diesel fuel and then recoat the pieces with a light coat of oil before starting.

Bill,
Elbow grease can be found if you know where to look

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 05:12 pm:

I will clean it off with kerosene and redcoat it. I just want to make sure everything is clean and free and the crank will spin and is not too tight before assembling.

Thanks.

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

UPDATE - ok I cleaned it up and sprayed some wd40 around everything and let it sit.

I made a bar so I could spin the engine. It turns nicely with a 2’ Long bar. Is that too tight? Or how can I tell if it is too tight?

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 09:07 pm:

If everything is new, then that's normal, should be pretty tight.
I would pour engine oil all around. WD 40 will evaporate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 09:18 pm:

If it was covered up in the crate, it should be clean except for, perhaps, a thin coating of rust. I would use the WD 40 or kerosene to clean it up. Just spray it on and wipe off. The cylinders should be soaked with SAE 30 oil and the rod and main bearings should also be oiled. Then turn it over with a bar so it gets all the way up and down the cylinders and in the ring grooves. If the transmission is installed and has been stored, oil all the bushings in it too. Also oil the drums where the bands ride on them.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 09:40 pm:

Sweet. I will go ahead and wipe it down and coat it in 30 weight and install it on the pan.

All that is left if the transmission...

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

Chain saw bar oil is sticky and if turned will be the best and stay there.

Tim Moore

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration