Anyone have a disassembled TT rear end for pics?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Anyone have a disassembled TT rear end for pics?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bartol on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 02:42 pm:

Anyone have pics of TT rear end completely disassembled? I'm trying to see how the new neoprene inner oil seals are seated vs the old style. This Ford scripted seal was pressed into the driver side housing and I can't find another one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

I am not helping with pictures, but I saved the ones in the clamshell, straightened up and put new felt in. maybe somebody makes new. just a thought. The new inner neoprene seals have instructions somewhere. I will try to dig up or find a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 03:56 pm:

Hi Chris, the MTFA booklet on Ruckstell rear overhauls is very helpful and explains the seal positioning and steps to follow. I highly recommend it, as following it carefully you can't go wrong :-)

Cheers, Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 03:57 pm:

(I meant to add, the advice in the booklet covers non- Ruckstell rear end as well)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 12:58 am:

Not sure if this is the same one's, mine were all smashed up some how over the years. I beat them back into shape and welded them up, put in new felt and installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 01:01 am:

thought this might help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 01:18 am:

Which seal? the next to the ball bearing or next to the roller bearing? the neo seals go in before the sleeve is put in, the flat side to the bearing. Side note, there is no seal under the cap next to the hub, the seal fits in the recess on the hub. The cap on the end of the axle tube is just a bearing retainer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 07:32 am:

The TT rear axle should have a felt under the outer bearing cap. (Same as the car axles). Every one Iíve taken apart had the remains of a seal under the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 03:07 pm:

I checked the parts book, Ford never supplied a seal under the dust cap. The only seal was between the dust cap and hub. Yes people may have added one, and yes I have taken down a TT rear end that had one. Between the end of the bearing and end of the the axle tube is only 1/8". The dust cap is only 1/2" deep.

Besides the hub seal listed with hub part No 1118 the only others are No 1021 Qt 4 that go in the riveted in cup behind the roller bearing and in the seal next to the diff., assembly No 1024 (seal No 1021 is used here also). There are only 2 axle shaft bearing retainer washers listed, these are installed before the sleeves and protect the felt that is installed in the riveted in cup.

This is the felt I did find between the roller bearing and dust cap. It had thin shim material washer between it and the felt seal. The shim was riding on the bearing. There would no room to install the bearing washer, seal and dust cap as is done on the cars. Maybe you could but how much sealing would about an 1/8" compressed seal really do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

Called and talked to Dave at Chaffin't today. So I have an update. There is indeed as I understand a replacement cap set. The dust cap is about 1-1/2" deep. Dave told me this set has been around for at least 30 years. I wish the catalogs (all of them) would do a better job in describing this part. Just because it has been out for that long does not mean many who have never worked on a TT would know the details. I stand by what the 1928 parts catalog shows, in that the updated version was not supplied by Ford at that date (28). This may have been a upgrade sometime after. ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 07:03 am:

it is interesting the section calls out felt and the parts book doesn't for the dust cap.not a big deal either way.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration