Another load comes in... Why do I do this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Another load comes in... Why do I do this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

Last weekend I brought home about 8000 lbs of T stuff as a favor for a friend facing storage loss and other issues. Quite a bit of it will be scrapped due to long outside storage, probably 2000 lbs or more. Quite a few goodies in the pile but mostly basic parts from the black era. Enough to put together eight or more chassis or speedsters. Got some pretty good fenders too. Some of them are flat top fronts. Sad thing is I can't give this stuff away. I have a message on the classifieds offering parts to youngsters and newbies on a budget to build a car up at little or no cost. So far no takers. There is always debate about the future of our hobby, and I think it has a good one. I think my problem is people have realized it's cheaper to buy a running T and play with it than it is to restore one or gather one up from parts. I may be sitting on this stuff for a while. I've heard scrap prices are a little up these days. Don't want it to come to that. Pics going up on the classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

Well, Bakersfield is only a few months away. Looks like you will make good use of your spaces. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

Back when it was a lot easier to get a title, building one up from parts might not have been out of reason, today it's a different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 11:13 pm:

Erik,
First I've heard of your "stash"! Perhaps the problem is that word-of-mouth hasn't succeeded yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 11:15 pm:

I wish I was closer! My 14 year old wants to build a speeder, and I want to do it on a budget! The issue really comes to shipping!

Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 04:45 am:

The problem is you keep telling everyone it's cheaper to buy one than to build one.

I'm living evidence of the opposite. Stop lying. It only costs a fortune to build a car if you pay full price for trivial things like paint, labour ect. A handful of determination and some half empty tins of paint, old couches cut up for leather ect will get you so much father than people might have you believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 11:15 am:

Erik, you do it to preserve things. You're like everyone else here.....you can't bear to throw something out if there's even a ghost of a chance of using it. I have the same problem up here, just not as much. I'm gonna toss everything on a trailer and go to a swap meet and sell it at "noobie prices"....someday.

Thanks again for the help with the pan and hog's head. Both are cleaning up nice with the sandblaster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 11:47 am:

Erik,

What a wonderful gesture! I hope the parts find their way to deserving project for someone!

I see your story was picked up by Jessie Bowers at the Just A Car Guy website. That blog claims to have around 12,000 readers a day.

https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-rumble-seat-garage-has-made-very.ht ml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

Now I'm a liar. There goes my credibility. Shucks, good thing I'm getting responses from FB. Offer's always good here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

All people on here seem to lie to themselves about just how hard it is to fix a car, listened to herm too much I guess.

But fakebook is full of flakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

I lie to myself all the time. But I'm honest with others. It's not hard to put a model T together on limited money and know how. This forum can help a lot with that, so I am happy to be a part of it. True, there are a lot of kooks on Facebook, but it is a very popular place to discuss old cars. I have had great success there and made some good friends I may never actually meet. I have found good things there and had many opportunities to help others with their projects. It's been good for me, already found homes for some of this stuff.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration