Old Photo-Get out your snow racer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo-Get out your snow racer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 02:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 03:21 pm:

The gentleman in front looks like he has one of those change machines around his belt. I wonder if they are giving rides?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 05:40 pm:

Ahhh, the good old days..........before OSHA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 05:54 pm:

they are in front of a gas station.he is the attendant. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

What's the 'wind chill' when its 10 degrees with a 150 MPH wind blowing in your face????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 06:27 pm:

My bad... Should have noticed the direction of the skis!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 06:37 pm:

Better get a chin strap on that hat. Its not gonna survive a trip through that prop. I bet the horses freeked out when that thing went by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

Coin Changer. Those gizmos were the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

Richard, where is the digital screen so one knows how much change to give?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, October 26, 2018 - 06:56 pm:

Yeah, how many youngsters can count change these days? Don't get me started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 01:21 am:

If you want to totally shut down fast food, after they ring up your bill hand them the tax in change. This will completely stop the process while the kid at the register goes looking for the manager.

The registers calculate the change they are returning to you, if you hand them the change for tax amount they have no way to redo the sale.

Mostly because they can't add or subtract in their head. Maybe they should have a hand changer light the guy in the photo, then teach them how to make change.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 09:00 am:

From cool prop driven sled to bitching about youth in eight moves. Nice work boys, we’re getting better at this!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 10:14 am:

These were mostly called "Ice Boats" in Lake Huron's Saginaw Bay area. They were used a lot until the 60's, when the snowmobile took over. All kinds of "homebrew" designs with different engines used, what ever was laying around. Straight exhaust [this one looks like that], they could be heard on a cold winter day for miles and miles out on the bay. There are probably a few somewhere yet in someones barn, but I haven't seem one since the early seventies. One glare ice they would use more of a skate, instead of the ski's this one has, and man would they fly! They were all pusher props like this beauty.. Jim Derocher, Michigan's Outer Saginaw Bay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 10:17 am:

Sorry Tim. It must be my nature to take over for the grumpy old men I knew when I was a kid. I do admire the youngsters today and hope we can show them what fun Model Ts are.
Keep us on the right track if you can.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 10:31 am:

It looks like a 1930's Harley Davidson "U" or "V" 74 cu.in flathead engine.....?

There used to be a few out on Fletcher's Floodwaters near Alpena every winter up through the mid 1970's, but only until the ice was thick enough to drive your truck (with a heater) on!

Like Jim says, they went extinct when snowmobiles came on the scene and the old motorcycle engines they used became more valuable than the entire contraption.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 10:54 am:

While not as cool as Herb's I spotted this at Hershey and I would have to say that it is also a snow racer. And to keep it Model T related check out the steering wheel. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 10:59 am:

James I bet thats an ice racer. 4 person by the holes for boot heels in the side. Thats pretty cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 11:13 am:

Sharp eye on the HD motor Dale W. I didn't see that.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration