Stipe camshaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Stipe camshaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 04:28 pm:

Recently a friend gave me two, what he called used Stipe 270 Model T camshafts. How does one tell if these are Stipe or not. Is there a mark somewhere, so far I have not seen it. Next I tried to measure the lift. I'm not a mechanic, but can use a micrometer to some degree. The base circle of these cams is about 0.808" and the heel to lobe tip is about 1.052". That to me says the lift is 0.244". SO either the cam is worn, doesn't look bad, or maybe it's a 250 Stipe cam? How can it tell for sure? Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

Mike, at the back of Bill's cams are marked for what size they are, rear cam gearing end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 04:53 pm:

should of said bearing end. sorry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

The name Stipe is also stamped in the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 05:33 pm:

I looked at the shaft end, where the center hole is. There are no marking at all. The end has been rough ground to make it flat(er), but I don't see any markings of any kind. Could earlier Stipe cams not have been marked in with way, maybe is these are some of the first cams bill made? Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 09:41 am:

The Stipe cam is very pretty and you can tell at a look. The finish after heat treat is kind of a brown hue, and fine machine work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 09:47 am:

The spaces between the lobes of a Stipe cam are copper-colored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

Here a few pictures in question. I did find a box that indicated a Stipe 3091NP 280 camshaft. So maybe? The area between the lobe is black, but maybe brown underneath. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 04:01 pm:

Mike,
I suspect that what you have may be original Ford cam shafts that were switched out for new Stipe cams and simply placed in the Stipe cam boxes. I have seen this a couple of times, folks generally keep the old cams not wanting to throw them away. The cam boxes are a good way to store the old cams and their bearings. Just my opinion from what I see in the pictures. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 04:20 pm:

You may be correct. Got them for free so nothing is lost. Actually, they don't look too bad and could be used as a replacement for a really bad one. Thanks Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

Definitely keep the '26 - '27 with the longer #1 exhaust lobe !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 04:43 pm:

A little side track comment for Dan T, that photo of the block you posted seems to show that #1 piston has wrist pin oil holes but #2 has been over looked, no oil holes!.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 02:25 am:

I think Mike has it right, as those cams look pretty well-used.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration