New Way Maintenance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: New Way Maintenance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

My '17 has a New Way timer. Other than cleaning occasionally, is there any other routine maintenance that needs to be performed on it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

Never heard of it! However, there is a New Day timer which is quite popular. The old ones were good but some of the later ones not so good. I've heard good reports about those currently being manufactured.

Maintenance. Wipe out the dirt and any oil it might have. Check the contacts and bakelite for wear and the brush for wear. If all are good, put the cover on and you are good to go. If worn, you might need to replace. If the engine runs smoothly without missing, fine. If it misfires, it could be caused by wear.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 08:54 pm:

Dang! I keep doing that. NEW DAY, not new way. Sorry....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

The only thing you may need to do other than occasional cleaning is replace a worn brush or resurface the contacts if they get rough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 12:49 am:

This can be done but the contacts inside are only the thickness of the terminal on the out side. You can reach a point where they get too thin and might not stay in the housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 01:52 am:

The others have covered nearly everything, If you find it's wearing faster than you'd like, replace the brush with a plain carbon brush from an old electric drill or something. If you're already using a carbon brush this advice is now redundant

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 07:32 pm:

Norm - a friend had a misfiring '19. Pulled the New day off and it was full of black powder - from the brush???

Steve - as usual, too cool! Another tool for the collection.

Mark - good thing to know.

Kep - do you know of any sources of suitable carbon brushes?

I'd like to get my hands on some used original New Day caps to resurface and keep as spares.Wish I could have gone to Hershey...maybe next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 07:54 pm:

Tim, I swear by my New Day. Never a problem as long as maintained. I wipe it clean it a couple times a season, resurface the contacts as needed and, check the brush as needed.

I was lucky enough to get three cheap NOS New days a few years ago. I'm still on the first one after literally thousands of miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

Marty,
From what I've seen I like the simplicity of design and maintenance of the New Day. I understand the new ND replacements from Lang's (made by TipTop) are pretty good too. I'm thinking it would be smart to carry a good spare in the tool box while touring.... maybe I'll get lucky and find a NOS too :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration