Another new page

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Another new page
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 03:30 pm:

Let me know if I got anything wrong and need to make corrections.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG110.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 03:33 pm:

That's convenient timing, I've saved up three metal stems that I want to use for this. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

Very nice didactic. The only thing I would do for clarity is number the images ... or stack them one over the other for the sequence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 03:53 pm:

Very nice. Love the photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

What a great addition to you collection of advice.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard H.Miller on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 07:03 pm:

Very informative. Thank you for your time and effort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

Will contact cement dissolve or "rot" the rubber??? Would rubber cement be better?? Just wondering.

Great post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

Steve, I've never quite understood how the metal stems were installed or used......never needed to because I just used the modern rubber stem.

Thanks to your excellent photos and text, my next tubes will have metal stems.

Thank you sir!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 07:54 pm:

I just ordered a metal stem tube but believe they are backordered. Where can I get the appropriate stems and which should I use for my l920 with Pasco wire wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

I smile every time I see an article on installing metal stems now because my father-in-law and brother-in-law were watching one day when I unfolded a brand new tube and clipped off the rubber stem. Both of them squealed like a little girl, thinking that I had screwed up big time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

Steve the diagram seems to show a flap under the bridge washer or am I not seeing it correctly. I assume you can omit the flap and then the bridge washer is right on the tube but if you use a flap it would seem to create an issue as it is the flap being pressed on the tube by the bridge washer that makes the seal. Do you use a flap and if so did you place it over the bridge washer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Danmark on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

I have a couple of tubes with defect rubber stems and also som metal stems. I must see if I can make this work.
Thanks Steve for another very informative tutorial!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 31, 2018 - 10:22 pm:

Hal, I've used contact cement on rubber in various places, and so far no problem. Rubber cement eventually dries out and unsticks.

Noel, I get the stems at swap meets, but some of the parts dealers might have a few. Most of them have used parts not listed in their catalogues. For use on your wire wheels I would measure the hole and figure out how long a stem you need to get a dust cover on it. If the holes are big enough, I would go with #724 or #725 because they're more plentiful than the #777.

Val, some of my tires have flaps, but I haven't used them in my more recent installations. It's been so long that I don't remember whether I followed the diagram or left the flaps outside the bridge washers. Just guessing I would say the latter, but I won't know for sure until I have to change one of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 02:26 pm:

Steve, you're my hero.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 05:00 pm:

Steve,I'm going to allow a week to ten days sometime (because it would probably take that long to get there), and drive our '21 Touring to Kansas to shake your hand and buy you a cup, or three of coffee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

Steve, in your photo and commentary about the dust covers you mention that some nickel era cars had "separate threads for the dust cover." Actually, all cars, brass and nickel had these pieces. They are called "rim nuts" and came in both hex and round knurled styles. I have 1914 factory photos showing both styles on the cars. They were brass until '17 when the brass was nickel plated. They sure save a lot of time and effort when installing the dust covers and thus are not only correct but very necessary parts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

All this stuff to allow one to fit Schraeder dust caps is why I just love the Dill caps with the sliding internal threaded piece. No rim nut, no need to allow for different length stems, thicker stems no worries, just thread them on to the valve cap thread, slide them down to the desired depth and tighten. And you get a valve removal tool as a bonus!

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration