1922 Center Door More stuff

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1922 Center Door More stuff
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 04:38 pm:

Got a text from the gent I got the body from. He found the rear glass and instrument panel light. Also found the split hoop to retain the glass.

Still sorting wood out. Some pieces are definitely from a kit that was purchased before he acquired it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 06:29 pm:

Mr. Vanderburg,

May I ask a big favor of you? I do not have the rear glass or, more importantly, the split hoop retainer. Would you be so kind as to send a photo of the hoop with some dimensions so I can make, or have made, one for our center door?

I would recommend you keep ALL the pieces until your car is running and on the road. I have a load of pieces that I am trying to figure out. While I have identified several, I am still missing several more. It's going to be hard replicating them when I don't have one to use as a pattern. Right now, it looks like I have enough pieces on the left to fill in the missing ones on the right and vice versa. I'll just have to make mirror image pieces.

Thank You,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 07:10 am:

Iíll take pictures and measurements today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 12:01 pm:

Hoop and glass for those who might be interested. I forwarded Terry copies of these with measurements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 08:55 pm:

Will & Terry,

I would encourage you both to consider working together to help document the rewooding process. And I would encourage you to add to what Joe Fellin has already documented in his 12 part story of restoring his center door. Those 12 articles are in "The Vintage Ford" magazines. I'm working (unsuccessfully so far) to access them on my old computer. (Will -- I need to take my old computer into the repair shop -- it appears to boot up, but it does not display anything on the monitor. The monitor is good -- I swapped it out with the newer computer.) Once I capture the articles for Will, Terry if you or anyone else would like a copy -- let me know and I will send them to you also. The club allows us to share that information for free for non-commercial purposes to promote our club, hobby and hopefully to save a few more Ts.

You might even consider making some drawings etc. to add to what Joe Fellen has already written?

From the Price List of Parts it gives the following dimensions for the Centerdoor (OK Sedan) oval back glass:

And from the body price list of parts that is included in Bruce McCalley's "Model T Comprehensive Encyclopedia" 2 CD disc set it has:

Note both Fisher and Wadsworth supplied the Centerdoor bodies to Ford USA. (Only Fisher for the early 1915 ones.) And some parts are interchangeable (door locks appear to be that way) while others are not (or would require modification to have them fit etc.). Below are some of the ones that are different:

Note clearly the Fisher and Wadsworth door panels are different (also listed as different for the other side). But note that the final listing indicates another panel -- why? Because it has another part number suffix and another factory number suffix.

So my uneducated guess is there are 3 different panels for 3 slightly different versions of the left door as well as the right door. They may or may not use the same wood kit? But when you ordered the part -- they would send you a different panel based on what your body maker and year was.

If anyone has additional information on that, please let us know.

Note a similar issue occurred with the 1915-1923 open car bodies (as well as the open car bodies before that). Each of the different open car makers may (or may not in some cases) had slightly different panels. At: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc15.htm for the OPEN CAR BODIES it says:

JUN 26, 1915 Factory Letter

"Hereafter when ordering body panels for 1915 cars, please give both the car and body numbers. The body number will be found on the right sill just inside the front door. This number will be preceded by a letter which indicates by whom the body was made.

"The above information is necessary as panels for bodies made by our various suppliers vary somewhat."

Will, I will let you know as soon as I can access "The Vintage Ford" files.

How to tell a Fisher Centerdoor from a Wadsworth? Well if the wood was good they use a different letter etc. From memory, I think that is on the wooden rear seat frame. But I have not looked at that information in some time. If the wood and/or tag etc. is no longer available I was hoping there would be an easy way to tell. But the more I looked into it the more complex it seemed to become.

Good luck to both of you.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 09:11 pm:

Hap,

I have the complete set of Joe Fellin articles, in print. I will be glad to share them as they were shared with me on this forum. I went one step farther and acquired the appropriate issues for the original articles.

In researching the difference between Fisher and Wadsworth bodies, the prime indicator is at the bottom front corner of the cowl. Mine has the triangular recess/cutout. Being as mine is a 1920 model (built in 1919), my research showed Wadsworth had a big fire in their factory. This cast some doubt as to mine being a Wadsworth body as the recess/cutout indicated. More research is necessary I guess.

Thank You for the information and the offers. I will be glad to work with anyone to help all of us. So far, center door information is somewhat scarce and I am glad to share what I have found so far. Others have shared with me, so it's payback time.

Good Luck,
Terry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration