Ot- Old Photo studio car, What make?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ot- Old Photo studio car, What make?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 09:45 am:

I can almost read the tag on the hood of this car can you tell what it is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 09:52 am:

Wonderful picture ! It resembles a 1907 Whizzix, but I'm sure it isn't. I wish we could read that badge ! Thanks for posting Herb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 10:56 am:

Appears to be a staged photo in a studio setting due to what looks like a shelf in the upper left of the photo. The Museum of Science and Industry located in Chicago, IL used to have a photo studio with something similar. You might try contacting them to see if taken there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Well, yes, the car is a studio prop, and this is a studio photo. My guess (from the clothing) is mid-teens, long enough that the "car" (which is probably not mechanically complete, and may even be a pastiche of "old car parts") was already considered old, out of date and "funny". That the prop was more or less "junk" is evidenced by all the dents in the lamps and other parts. Still, I'd like to know what that name badge says !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 11:54 am:

I believe it is a De Dion Bouton similar to this one. The fenders are a little different but much of the rest looks the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

I don't know my European cars that well but I studied the De Dion when I painted this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

Thanks, Rich. Year ? The name badge in the photo surely says other than "De Dion Bouton", but the front grille is cobbled up by a ball-pein body job, so that badge likely doesn't have anything to do with the car. I can make out a "V" at the beginning, and an "R" at the end. "Voyageur" ?!? Maybe ?

Do we know if the photo came from Europe ? If memory serves, DeDionBouton was not uncommon stateside in the earliest days . . . ?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 12:35 pm:

Here is a Clement Tonneau, voiture routière de 1902 that is similar. Perhaps several "French front" look very similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

How about a La Cottereau I/A, ce véhicule ancien fut fabriqué de 1903 à 1904?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 01:14 pm:

I love that "look". I first associated it with Renault, then later I believe there was a Franklin on similar lines. Somewhere in my 50 years' gatherings I have an early auto repair manual that has patterns and instructions for making a front end hood of that type. Great to see that painting again, Rich !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 04:01 pm:

Here is the back of the card:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

Was that car in a accident? It's surprisingly dented.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

Perhaps people have sat on the hood a few times. They did do that.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Victor Bloxsome on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 06:04 pm:

Strain the imagination and focus on the nameplate , it could be a VICTRIX MADE AROUND 1903-5 IN FRANCE , 6 HP SINGLE CYLINDER successor to the FARMAN .

VICTOR .... French car nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

For several years, roughly 1899 through 1904, that was one of the most common front styles for automobiles in Europe and Great Briton. There were probably fifty different companies that made models similar to that. A few American manufacturers also copied that style. There was a tendency in America to make the hood a bit wider however (look at Autocar for example).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, November 05, 2018 - 01:46 am:

badge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, November 05, 2018 - 10:14 am:

There were many U.S. cars that had that style. For example:

Pierce
Peerless
Dyke
St. Louis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, November 05, 2018 - 10:20 am:

Crestmobile
Waltomobile
Hardy.....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration