Modern Rear Axle inner seals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Modern Rear Axle inner seals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Monday, November 05, 2018 - 08:24 pm:

I'm almost ready to install my "modern" neoprene inner rear axle seals and new sleeves. I have a couple of questions.

1) does the sleeve pinch the bottom of the seal against the end of the tube helping to hold the seal in place?

2) Do any of you put sealant or adhesive on the outer edge of the neoprene seal during installation to help hold it in place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Monday, November 05, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

I just did this job on my Roadster. The bearing race or sleeve should hold it but I put the black silicone around the lip of the seal before I drove the race in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, November 05, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

I honestly don't remember how I put them in but I will say I've been rather pleased with them. A very good upgrade for very little money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 05, 2018 - 08:39 pm:

I chose to put a light bead of Ultra Black on the outer edge of the seal just prior to installation.

I also smeared some grease on the inner lip of the seal and covered the keyway groove in the axle shaft with a strip of electrical tape so that the seal would slide over the end of the axle and not get cut by the sharp edges of the keyway.

Use the outer Hyatt bearing (without the sleeve installed) to push the inner seal all the way in until it bottoms on the ridge inside the axle housing.

Then, remove the Hyatt bearing and install the outer sleeve. If the outer edge of the sleeve stands a bit proud of the end of the axle housing, remove the sleeve and grind a bit off the inside edge to allow the sleeve dimple to fit in the hole in the axle housing and the outer edge of the sleeve to sit flush with the outer edge of the axle housing.

Here is a Steve Jelf video that shows most of the steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxWPsF4KhQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 05, 2018 - 08:39 pm:

Gary is correct. Be sure the inside of the tube is perfectly clean (lacquer thinner is good), put RTV around the edge of the seal (I use Ultra Black), put tape over the key way so it won't cut the seal, smear a little grease on the axle, and slide in the seal. When you install the bearing sleeve that will hold the seal in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxWPsF4KhQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 05, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

Two heads with a single thought. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration