1922 Center Door wood sorting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1922 Center Door wood sorting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 05:09 pm:

Here's three shots of the mock up of the undercowl section of wood for the 1922 center door.

I am missing some pieces but, I put these together with the wrong screws just to determine what goes where and why. When all you have to work with is someone else's photographs and two 1 dimensional drawings, it helps put things in perspective. It also helps in determining which pieces need replication.

The first picture is the under cowl section from side to side.

The second picture shows the construction of the driver's side floor board riser. (Passenger side is the opposite.)

Third picture shows the interior kick panel nailing strip. The side I'm showing faces the interior side of the sheet metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 05:10 pm:

The wood appears to have been painted black. It's somewhat easy to see which piece goes where by the paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 05:51 pm:

Now that I'm looking at it, there might be a smaller squarish strip that runs down the length of the riser. You can just barely make that out. However, the angled piece I put on the side mates with the holes in those pieces. There doesn't appear to be another place in the body for them to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 06:08 pm:

One piece I know I will need is a firewall drip rail. The firewall did not come with the body. It stayed with the chassis of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 07:45 pm:

William,

Thanks for the photos. They are going to help me out a bunch. Are the any photos you would like me to post for you? I will be happy to do so IF I have the pieces to shoot.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

I need the shape if the bottom of the rear upright behind the back seat. Itís the piece in the center under the rear window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 09:11 pm:

I have a professionally built rear seat back but I'm not sure if it goes up high enough. I'll dig it out and post a photo. Otherwise, the wood on/in the back panel around the window was/is missing/rotted away. Previous owners have attempted and failed miserably at wood replacement. So I have a partial wood kit and what's left of our wood to try to replicate.

I'll do my best. Give me a little time to get the photo.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 09:26 pm:

Is this the piece you are looking for? If so let me know, we will get more and better pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

No the piece I need is the upright that attaches to the belt rail directly beneath the oval glass and runs to the bottom of the seat box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 07:31 am:

Sorry, I don't have that one either. All the wood on the back panel was missing when we bought the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 08:05 am:

In reviewing the body parts catalog, I believe the curved top piece of the seat back is the belt rail. It looks like I will have to build a rectangular frame with two supports from the top of the seat back/belt rail up to the roof framing and the oval hole for the rear window. Should be much easier now that you have given me a photo of the window retainer wood. All I have to do is get the hole in the correct position.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 09:47 am:

I have the entire back wall of the wood including the complete window frame and belt rail. It's just the center piece of wood that goes down from the window to the bottom of the seat box is missing at the bottom.

I can photograph the back window for you when I return from Atlantic City to pick up my daughter from the airport.

Will V

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 02:14 pm:

Thank You Will, that will help me out a bunch.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 02:38 pm:

Ok here it is. The piece on the left in the picture is missing at the top that curves around the upper part of the body, but it is a mirror image of the left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 02:40 pm:

The bottom corner belt rail pieces are screwed to the side glass pillars with one screw in the top and two screws up from the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 02:49 pm:

There is also a metal curved flat shelf piece (curved to the contours of the belt rail and flat towards the front of the car), that I believe goes behind the rear seat. In modern terminology, this piece would be called a "package tray"

I've studied the pieces and it's the only place i think it might go. I have the back cushion for the seat and it is flat all the way across, similar to this photo (NOT a photo of my car). The cushion in this picture is not curved to the contours of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 04:18 pm:

Squash that idea about the metal tray. I've done some more investigating and it won't fit behind the cushion, however the cushion is still flat.

Here's the piece I'm referring to. Maybe it's a weather cap or something

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 04:19 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

I really now have no idea what this piece is for. I've looked at all the repro catalogs and nobody makes this thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 05:50 pm:

Maybe a metal filler piece up under or around the front header or ?
Chances will be slim to none if any repo sheet metal vendors make any metal body interior or exterior pieces for a center door.
The T closed cars sheet metal interior or exterior body parts may be no more than 4 or 5 pieces if that many than are being reproduced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

i have rewooded 6 and never saw that metal part. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

William V.------
You might already know this but Fordwood.com makes wood kits for T center doors. The information there may help you with yours.
If your wood pieces are good enough to to use as patterns you can reproduce them. But if you don't have anything maybe they can be of help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

Fordwood does NOT make a center door kit. We've been in touch with them. They do make a center door roof kit and a couple of other small parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Fleming on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 07:33 am:

The metal piece shown in the last three photos is applied on the underside of the roof overhang above the windshield

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 07:47 am:

Dennis,

Thank You for the information. I don't have one of those. Looks like some fab work or a tinsmith is needed.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 08:56 am:

EXCELLENT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 09:10 am:

Fordwood does make a roof kit and some other pieces but not a whole body kit according to their website.
I didn't say or imply they make the whole body kit. And the information can be of help if you don't have anything at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 09:20 am:

John,

We're on the same page, my friend.

While Fordwood does GREAT work, there seems to be a couple of problems: Slow delivery and poor communication. I turned a friend onto them for a Fordor kit. He waited a year to get it and was able to contact them only randomly during that time. The price to pay for a quality vendor. Great kit and instructions though. I sure wish they were more like our other big vendors with outstanding customer service on all fronts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 11:32 am:

Iíll probably have to go to a cabinet shop to have the front pillars remade if I canít do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 01:39 pm:

Actually, now that I think about it, there is a McPherson College trained auto restorer about a couple of miles from me. Maybe they can replicate the pillars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

Terry
Yes that is the drawback about Fordwood. They used to not be that way several years ago. Seems like the original owner retired and either the kids or someone else took over.

I was lucky enough to buy a wood kit from the first buyer that he had bought from them who had retired and was selling out his T parts.

They are kind of like Howell's sheet metal about dealing with T their products. Hard to get hold of and taking their time with customers. Kind of frustrating. But I have to say for the most part they both do good work most of the time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration