Early Head Gaskets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Early Head Gaskets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dwyer in Troy, New York on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 04:50 pm:

I think that when the Model T came out in 1908 it was one of the few cars to use a detachable cylinder head.

Having just installed a new gasket on a 1932 Packard, I wonder. . . .

What were early head gaskets like? Were they just a sheet of copper? Did they use any sealant? Were early head gaskets leaky?

-- Luke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

I'm pretty sure the early head gaskets were not a lot different from those that followed, thin copper sheet with a layer of asbestos between. Likely that gasket form predated internal combustion engines, being used around steam.

What model is your Packard Luke ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 06:04 pm:

Wasn't Ford the first to have a detachable head. (The car not the man.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 03:03 am:

Not sure about the head, but it was the first production car to have the block and crankcase as one piece.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration