Maybe I Should Take a Break

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Maybe I Should Take a Break
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 12:47 pm:

When I become obsessed with an old car project, it tends to occupy every bit of space in my brain not occupied by family, work and faith.

My T project is moving at a snail's pace because of the requirements my business is placing on me, but I still find time plan, plot, bench race and otherwise obsess about my Model T.

I had to laugh at myself the other day when I bought my wife a beautiful new Nissan Pathfinder. It's a wonderful example of modern automotive engineering...filled with nearly magical gadgetry. But what is it that grabs my attention every time I see the thing?

Is it the smooth revving 284 HP engine? Is it the brilliant blue color? It is the sleek styling or power-everthing (seats, doors, windows)?

Nope. Every single time it's the alloy wheels and my thought is always, "Model T magneto magnets".

I may need to take a break from Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 01:29 pm:

as long as you don't try to mount them in a T engine you're ok. Not that I have not had the same thought!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 01:34 pm:

G.R....I don't think they're the correct size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Pfau - Michigan on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 02:17 pm:

Sometimes I see wheels along these lines and for some reason I feel compelled to count the spokes! It's a disease I tell you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

Maybe you can mount some coil rings and make it a "hybrid" ?!?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 03:11 pm:

Yup, Don, don't worry about it. It means you are now fully indoctrinated, and that's a good thing. No need for a "break" far as I can tell.

I experienced the same thing 55 years ago when I was obsessed with my junker T I was "restoring". Only back then, Scarcely a day went by when I didn't see some vestige of a Model T either discarded or somehow repurposed.

The backstop of the ball diamond where we played was patched with part of the driver's side body panel of a 20's open T . . . our neighbor's clothesline was put up using Model T frame rails for the uprights . . . Model T axle shafts were often used (diff gears and all) as stakes driven in the ground to stay gate posts and such . . . then there were the axle stands you'd see in nearly every service station or repair garage. Discarded one-row spud-diggers that used cut-down Model T rear axles and drive lines were on nearly every farm. Then there were the "Hoover wagons".
All gone . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 04:02 pm:

Alan - HA! ....and I thought it was just me! I often count spokes too, and for some reason, I always think the wheels with an odd number of spokes always look better. Weird, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 04:07 pm:

.....slight problem with the wheels in the picture Don posted of his wife new Nissan however,......it's an odd number if you count the spokes as 5 magnetos, or 10 spokes if you count them individually,...... hmmmmmm....... as I've said before,....... one of my 4 Sons says,..... "Dad, you need more to do"! (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes, Lodi, CA on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 04:27 pm:

Cannot unsee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Brown on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 08:54 pm:

I see someone the fancy narrow spoked wheels With low profile tires on some Suv's and wonder if they would work on a T.
How many old farmers had pry bars made from T drive shafts. I know my dad had one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Friday, November 09, 2018 - 11:13 pm:

I still have a pair of jack stands made from T axle housing halves....the short ones. Had some about 3.5' tall, not sure where they wandered off to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 04:53 am:

So my boy buys a black F350 Diesel for the price of
don't ask. Ya I sat in the thing, how do you turn
the radio or heat on?? How do you start it If I
can't find a ignition switch? No thanks I stick
with my 1946 Super V8 Deluxe !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 06:56 am:

Samuel....we test drove a Chevy Tahoe while we were looking for a new car. Wow, what a vehicle! It had leather everywhere, magnificent LS V8 engine, big, comfortable interior, sound system to die for, power everything and so on.

Then I looked at the sticker price....$75,000!!!!!! I actually laughed/coughed/snorted/gasped out loud. No way am I paying that for a car. And that wasn't even close to the nicest one they had. That one was just under $100K.

I love the modern cars for long highway trips and for commuting to work. They're quiet, comfortable and very safe in crashes. But they're souless pieces of plastic meant to be used and thrown away. I guess that's why I don't see their greatness when I look at them...instead I see Model T parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 08:05 am:

I like the way you think . It is a rare gift to be able to look at all the wonderful new features of this new motor vehicle and yet still be able to clearly focus on the true heart of its meaning for the good of all mankind!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 08:09 am:

I was told years ago by a very fine woodworker and a mentor ... “the most important tool .. is a comfortable chair.” In other words .. to walk away from a project from time to time to clear your thoughts and get a new perspective.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 01:59 pm:

I was at a lecture, and the guest lecturer lost a tire on his car, "what size?" I asked, as he was having a replacement shipped in; "19 inch." Oh, I thought, I might have a good 19" tire around--and then realized, his was a MODERN 19" tire and my 450 x 19" wouldn't fit at all.
I don't understand these new low profile tires, can't be a very comfortable ride!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 03:32 pm:

I have found myself counting spokes on modern cars too. It seems most are an odd number of spokes. Like 3 or 7. This seems odd to me because of not being divisible easily into 360.

I once was at an old car dealership. I was walking around the showroom and saw a car from a distance. I made a comment to the employee the about that Cadillac. He said "How do you know it is a Cadillac from here?" I said it has ten spokes. We walked over to it. It was a Cadillac. He just shook his head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, November 10, 2018 - 07:48 pm:

ha ha ha ha ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 01:18 am:

Don, I'm currently in the first few days of a break and it's sucking already.
My old tractor engine is cooler than cold, canned beer but I wish for my T to be closer by.
Next year hopefully to get it all rectified. All my sweet toys surrounding me.
No, you don't need a break. You're doing just fine. Let your T occupy your mind. Or your 54. Or your...
:-)
Mmmm, magnets...

(Message edited by duey_c on November 11, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 08:45 am:

You have a way with words Duey.

I had big plans to play with the T yesterday.

Then my brother called and wanted me to come watch my nephew play in a football game. Did that...had a great time. It was raining with temps in the 40's (yuck) so we snuck into the pressbox and watched from there. As you can see, it wasn't exactly a packed house, so my "sneaking" wasn't as sleuthy as it may sound.

They came over to the house afterward for some of my wife's amazing Texas chili and stayed way later than they should have while we all laughed and carried on at the kitchen table until late in evening.

Today it's church, then putting the finishing touches on the 54 Ford Club newsletter and get that ready to mail tomorrow, then my daughter and my soon-to-be son-in-law are coming for a visit. They're both seniors in college and seeing them is always a treat. They're also both musically talented and should regale us with the latest ukulele accompanied harmony bit that they've come up with. That should round out the weekend.

All of this equates to exactly zero Model T time this weekend.

Someone once said, "I wish you could recognize the Good Old Days while you're still in the Good Old Days." Trust me...I do realize that for me, these are the Good Old Days and I relish it all. So this evening, while listening to laughter in my humble home, I'll take a few moments here and there to daydream, plot about, plan and otherwise bench race my Model T.

Maybe next weekend.....

(Message edited by rustyfords on November 11, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, November 11, 2018 - 10:16 am:

Don, what an attractive couple! You are truly blessed.
Duey, It's cold here in central SD also. My 20 is waiting for me to finish hooking up the the fuel line valve as the brass one is leaking. I've no heat in the garage. Oh well, took a nice mule deer buck yesterday. Gotta process meat for the freezer today.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration